Partial Derivative of x^2 on Manifold (M,g)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of ##\partial_\mu x^2## on a manifold ##(M,g)##, with various equations and statements being proposed and questioned. It is concluded that there is no concept of a position vector or squared distance on a general manifold, and that the covariant derivative is a tensor while the partial derivative is not.
shooride
How can I figure out ##\partial_\mu x^2## on the manifold ##(M,g)##? I thought that it should be ##2x_\mu##, but I think I'm wrong and the answer is ##2x_\mu+x^\nu x^\lambda \partial_\mu g_{\nu\lambda}##, right?! In particular, it seems to me, we can't write ##\partial_\mu=g_{\mu\nu}\partial^{\nu}##. However, we can raise or lower the indices of the covariant derivative with metric, I mean ##\nabla^\mu=g^{\mu\nu}\nabla_\nu##. Is this true because partial derivative is not a tensor but covariant derivative is? Could you please explain it to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by ##x^2##? If ##x^\mu## are coordinates, then ##x^2## is a coordinate dependent statement and you must specify the coordinate system in which this is true in order to make any sense of it. Generally, there is no such thing as a position vector on a manifold.

Orodruin said:
What do you mean by ##x^2##?.
Can one consider ##x^2## as the distance between two points ##x^\mu## and ##x^\mu_0=(0,0,\dots)##?

shooride said:
Can one consider ##x^2## as the distance between two points ##x^\mu## and ##x^\mu_0=(0,0,\dots)##?
No.

Orodruin said:
No.
Sorry, I meant square of distance! ##(x^\mu x_\mu)^{1/2}## is just the Euclidean distance?!

There is no such concept in a general manifold.

Related to Partial Derivative of x^2 on Manifold (M,g)

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to describe the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It can be thought of as the slope of a tangent line on a multivariable function.

2. What is a manifold?

A manifold is a mathematical space that locally resembles Euclidean space, but may have different global properties. It is a generalization of the concept of a surface to higher dimensions and is used in various fields of mathematics, including differential geometry and topology.

3. How is the partial derivative of x^2 on a manifold calculated?

The partial derivative of x^2 on a manifold is calculated using the concept of a directional derivative. This involves taking the dot product of the gradient of x^2 with a tangent vector on the manifold. The resulting scalar value is the partial derivative at that point on the manifold.

4. What is the role of the metric tensor in calculating partial derivatives on a manifold?

The metric tensor, g, is a fundamental tool in differential geometry that is used to measure distances and angles on a manifold. It is also used to define the inner product, which is necessary for calculating the gradient and thus the partial derivative of a function on a manifold.

5. How is the partial derivative of x^2 affected by changes in the metric tensor on a manifold?

The partial derivative of x^2 on a manifold is affected by changes in the metric tensor, g, since the metric tensor determines the inner product used in the calculation. If the metric tensor is changed, the inner product and thus the gradient and partial derivative will also change.