Partial differential equations with mathematica

In summary: The equation is a groundwater flow equation. You can solve it using FEM/FDM. There is no need to put the initial/boundary conditions.
abbeynewton
hello, i just want to ask if mathematica 7 can solve nonlinear second order partial differential equations. i tried solving it with DSolve but it kept on giving me the question back as the output...please is there any way or syntax for solving it on mathematica 7?...thanks for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
abbeyNewton said:
hello, i just want to ask if mathematica 7 can solve nonlinear second order partial differential equations. i tried solving it with DSolve but it kept on giving me the question back as the output...please is there any way or syntax for solving it on mathematica 7?...thanks for any suggestions.
Mathematica can solve any PDE for which a solution is known. However, there are going to be very few, if any, known solutions for nonlinear 2nd order PDE's. You will probably need to do it numerically.

Pick a VERY simple example where you know there is a closed form solution and that you can do by hand. Then try it with Mathematica and see if you can get it to do it. If you cannot then post the example and how you tried to do it. Once you have seen how to do a very simple example work that should eliminate all kinds of errors and misunderstandings and you can look at the actual problem you have.

ok...the equation is a groundwater flow equation...which is

T*(d squared h/dx squared +d squared h/dy squared) +N=S*dh/dt...where s is storativity N is recharge and T is Transmissivity. i tried entering this and it returned it as output...actually this can be solved using FEM/FDM but how can i do that using mathematica...is there any need to put the initial/boundary conditions??...need answers as am working on a final year project involving groundwater modelling...thanks

1. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A PDE is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives, and is used to describe relationships between these variables in a given system.

2. How does Mathematica handle PDEs?

Mathematica has built-in functions and tools specifically designed for solving and analyzing PDEs. It uses numerical and symbolic methods to find solutions, visualize results, and perform other operations on PDEs.

3. Can Mathematica handle all types of PDEs?

While Mathematica has a wide range of capabilities for solving PDEs, it may not be able to handle certain types of PDEs, such as nonlinear or highly complex equations, without additional user input or specialized packages.

4. What are the benefits of using Mathematica for PDEs?

Mathematica allows for efficient and accurate solutions to PDEs, and also provides tools for visualizing and analyzing the results. It also has the ability to handle large and complex systems of PDEs.

5. Are there any limitations to using Mathematica for PDEs?

As with any software, Mathematica has its limitations. It may not be able to find symbolic solutions for all PDEs, and its performance may be affected by the complexity and size of the system being solved. It is important to carefully consider the problem at hand and choose the appropriate methods and settings in Mathematica for optimal results.