Partial Discharge Analysis for Transformer Insulation Testing

In summary, partial discharge analysis is a method used to detect and measure electrical discharges within transformer insulation. It involves specialized equipment and tests to assess the condition of the transformer and identify potential issues. This analysis can prevent costly failures and provide valuable information on transformer health and performance. It is recommended to be performed every 3-5 years, but may need to be done more frequently for heavily loaded or harshly operated transformers. It can be performed on most types of transformers, but the equipment and techniques may vary. Consulting with an expert is important to determine the appropriate methods for each type of transformer.
EE4me
TL;DR Summary
I would like to know how to test turn to turn insulation.
I would like to test the insulation of a transformer using partial discharge analysis. Testing insulation between the primary and secondary is pretty straightforward. I short the primary as well as the secondary, apply voltage across the two, then take my measurements.

I also need to test the turn to turn insulation for the primary and the secondary using partial discharge analysis which I'm not sure how to do. Any help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert on that. But the first place I would look is this:

IEEE recommended practice for testing insulation ...
IEE Std. 43-2000

1. What is partial discharge analysis for transformer insulation testing?

Partial discharge analysis is a method used to detect and measure partial discharges in transformer insulation. Partial discharges are small electrical sparks that occur within the insulation material, indicating potential weaknesses or defects that could lead to transformer failure.

2. Why is partial discharge analysis important for transformer maintenance?

Partial discharge analysis is important because it allows for early detection of insulation defects, which can help prevent costly equipment failures and downtime. By regularly performing partial discharge analysis, potential issues can be identified and addressed before they escalate.

3. How is partial discharge analysis performed?

Partial discharge analysis is typically performed using specialized equipment, such as a partial discharge analyzer, which applies a high voltage to the transformer and measures any resulting partial discharges. The data collected is then analyzed to determine the severity and location of any insulation defects.

4. What are the benefits of using partial discharge analysis for transformer insulation testing?

Partial discharge analysis offers several benefits, including the ability to detect insulation defects early on, which can prevent costly failures and downtime. It also allows for targeted maintenance and repair, as the location and severity of any issues can be pinpointed. Additionally, regular partial discharge analysis can help extend the lifespan of transformers.

5. How often should partial discharge analysis be performed?

The frequency of partial discharge analysis depends on the specific transformer and its usage. However, it is generally recommended to perform partial discharge analysis at least once a year for critical equipment, and every few years for less critical transformers. Additionally, partial discharge analysis should be performed after any major repairs or changes to the transformer.