Troubleshooting 30kV Power Supply: Possible Problems and Solutions

In summary: The 1k resistor from ground to "ground electrode of device" is probably there to conduct leakage currents, to prevent voltages floating and breaking down the insulation. I do not have the schematic diagram of your circuit, or know which particular "device" you might be referring to.1. You can test the CRO with against it's reference, and other sources.2. You can test the probe with the working CRO on AC voltage. Does the probe have an AC/DC switch?3. You can then test the EHT supply with all previously tested items.4. Lastly you can test the discharge tube.
naviakam
TL;DR Summary
having problem to get discharge in air
I am using a power supply (30 kV, 20 kHz) to discharge in air between two electrodes separated by an insulator. For 30 kV applied voltage, oscilloscope shows only 6 kV, and no discharge occurs. What are possible problems and solutions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The input impedance of an oscilloscope is usually only 1 Megohm, or 10 Megohm on the 10x probe range. Maybe the 30 kV supply is overloaded by the probe.

There are special high voltage probes available for oscilloscopes. How are you using an oscilloscope to view what might be 30 kV ?

Baluncore said:
The input impedance of an oscilloscope is usually only 1Meg, or 10 Meg on the 10x probe range. Maybe the 30 kV supply is overloaded by the probe.

There are special high voltage probes available for oscilloscopes. How are you using an oscilloscope to view what might be 30 kV ?
Using a high voltage probe.

naviakam said:
Using a high voltage probe.
Does a discharge occur when you do not use the oscilloscope or probe?

Baluncore said:
The input impedance of an oscilloscope is usually only 1 Megohm, or 10 Megohm on the 10x probe range. Maybe the 30 kV supply is overloaded by the probe.

The problem is I do not get any discharge, while such voltage must breakdown the gas!
I use a high voltage probe to see the voltage on the oscilloscope. The ampere meter on the power supply does not show anything. The only thing I can see is the manually adjusted (30 kV) voltage on the power supply and the voltage (6 kV) shown on the oscilloscope.

Baluncore said:
did not check that really!

Baluncore said:
Then what this shows if I disconnect the probe and get discharge? and if I disconnect probe and do not get discharge, what this shows?

naviakam said:
Then what this shows if I disconnect the probe and get discharge? and if I disconnect probe and do not get discharge, what this shows?
It shows if the probe is overloading the EHT supply.
I need a data sheet.
What is the make and model of the EHT power supply?
What is the make and model of the oscilloscope EHT probe?

Baluncore said:
It shows if the probe is overloading the EHT supply.
I need a data sheet.
What is the make and model of the EHT power supply?
What is the make and model of the oscilloscope EHT probe?
power supply: https://www.amazing1.com/hv-hf-power-supplies.html#HVHF

oscilloscope: Tektronix 4 channel.

then what shall I do to resolve overloading?

naviakam said:
then what shall I do to resolve overloading?
First identify the parts that do work.
Use “divide and conquer” to find the problem.
Reduce the complexity back to the point where all the parts work separately. Then start assembling it, one step at the time.
For example; Eliminate the spark gap and wires, look at the EHT supply output with the probe and oscilloscope only. If that does not work, test them independently. Check the calibration of the oscilloscope with a known test signal.

Take care, 30 kV may generate X-rays when the discharge takes place.

Likes naviakam
There is a one k ohm resistor between the power supply ground wire and the ground electrode of device. high voltage probe connected to oscilloscope through 50 ohm connector.
the device (plasma jet) made up of: SS 3 mm diameter rod connected to high voltage inserted inside a quartz tube with 4 mm inner and 8 mm outer diameters. Cu tape around quartz at the bottom is the ground. we must have a discharge within the tube between anode tip and the Cu. but it's strange that with such high voltage we can not get any discharge!
If probe overload the power supply, probe has problem? If still didn't discharge, power supply has problem?

Last edited:
naviakam said:
If probe overload the power supply, probe has problem? If still didn't discharge, power supply has problem?
That is as yet indeterminate. It may be the EHT supply that is faulty, the probe, or the discharge tube. Do not overthink the analysis.
1. You can test the CRO with against it's reference, and other sources.
2. You can test the probe with the working CRO on AC voltage. Does the probe have an AC/DC switch?
3. You can then test the EHT supply with all previously tested items.
4. Lastly you can test the discharge tube.
At any point you may need to back-track, or to check cables and connections.

The 1k resistor from ground to "ground electrode of device" is probably there to conduct leakage currents, to prevent voltages floating and breaking down the insulation. I do not have the schematic diagram of your circuit, or know which particular "device" you might be referring to.
You can post a link, or attach a picture to a post.

Baluncore said:
That is as yet indeterminate. It may be the EHT supply that is faulty, the probe, or the discharge tube. Do not overthink the analysis.
1. You can test the CRO with against it's reference, and other sources.
2. You can test the probe with the working CRO on AC voltage. Does the probe have an AC/DC switch?
3. You can then test the EHT supply with all previously tested items.
4. Lastly you can test the discharge tube.
At any point you may need to back-track, or to check cables and connections.

The 1k resistor from ground to "ground electrode of device" is probably there to conduct leakage currents, to prevent voltages floating and breaking down the insulation. I do not have the schematic diagram of your circuit, or know which particular "device" you might be referring to.
You can post a link, or attach a picture to a post.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 86
The dimensions of your discharge tube are almost certainly not the problem. There is something more obvious missing. Like, how the generator current is limited.

How is the ground of the generator connected to the discharge tube?
Where in the circuit is the 1k ?

Baluncore said:
The dimensions of your discharge tube are almost certainly not the problem. There is something more obvious missing. Like, how the generator current is limited.

How is the ground of the generator connected to the discharge tube?
Where in the circuit is the 1k ?
1640604112232.jpeg

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

1. What are some common problems that can occur with a 30kV power supply?

Some common problems that can occur with a 30kV power supply include voltage fluctuations, overheating, short circuits, and component failure.

2. How can I troubleshoot voltage fluctuations in a 30kV power supply?

To troubleshoot voltage fluctuations, first check the input power source and make sure it is stable. Next, check for loose connections or damaged components. You may also need to adjust the voltage settings or replace faulty components.

3. What should I do if my 30kV power supply is overheating?

If your 30kV power supply is overheating, check for any obstructions blocking the cooling vents. You may also need to clean or replace the cooling fans. If the problem persists, it could be a sign of a larger issue and a professional should be consulted.

4. How can I identify a short circuit in my 30kV power supply?

A short circuit in a 30kV power supply can be identified by a sudden drop in voltage or a complete loss of power. You may also hear a buzzing or clicking sound coming from the power supply. To fix the issue, check for any damaged wires or components and replace them if necessary.

5. What are some potential solutions for component failure in a 30kV power supply?

If a component in your 30kV power supply fails, it may need to be replaced. However, before replacing any components, make sure to check for loose connections or damaged wiring. If the issue persists, consult the manufacturer or a professional for further assistance.