Particle in equilibrium (balancing forces on an object on an incline)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the resultant force when given initial angle and two magnitudes. The speakers also discuss the concept of equilibrium and the proper use of equations to solve for unknowns. They also bring up the importance of understanding the coordinate system and the angle of incline in the problem.
Justin_Lahey
Homework Statement
Find the magnitude and angle
Relevant Equations
F1= cos(theta)38.4i+ sin(theta)38.4j
F2= cos(theta)52.7i + sin(theta)52.7j
Hi, I’m wondering if someone can help me understand this question. I can find a resultant force/vector when given an initial angle but I’m stuck here when the only information is the two magnitudes. I think I’m solving for the unknowns but a little lost on how or what equation I should be using. In the pic this is how I normally start by finding the x and y components but without theta I’m a bit lost. Thanks for any help.
0B71EB58-E39E-4864-8B94-D0ADFFA07733.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I am understanding the term "equilibrium" (in this context) correctly, shouldn't the net force simply be 0? So you know that F1 + F2 + R = 0.

Can you find ##\theta## from there?

Likes SammyS
First of all you got to tell us your coordinate system. I think none of your two equations are correct (especially if we take the coordinate system with the i-direction parallel to the incline and the j direction perpendicular to the incline).

I assume you have been taught the following equation $$\vec{F}=|\vec{F}|\cos\theta\hat i+|\vec{F}|\sin\theta\hat j$$
which you apply it in a wrong way in this problem. You got to be careful what the angle ##\theta## is in this equation. It is the angle that the force vector ##\vec{F}## makes with the x-axis (or i-axis should i say, and that's why i asked what is your coordinate system). It is not the same ##\theta## for all forces (each force has its own ##\theta## in other words ) and it is not the angle ##\theta## that is given in the problem statement as the angle of the incline.

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
I think none of your two equations are correct
Well, the F1 equation is right if ##\hat i## is horizontally to the right and ##\hat j## is vertically up; the F2 equation is right if ##\hat i## is normal to the slope and down to the right, and ##\hat j## is parallel to the slope and down to the left.

haruspex said:
Well, the F1 equation is right if ##\hat i## is horizontally to the right and ##\hat j## is vertically up; the F2 equation is right if ##\hat i## is normal to the slope and down to the right, and ##\hat j## is parallel to the slope and down to the left.
E hehe @haruspex you did some sort of reverse engineering to find coordinate systems ( you got me, i could never think of the i direction as normal to the slope, good one) that each equation is true, Still there is no single coordinate system that both simultaneously are true . Thats my main point that's why i first asked what is the coordinate system he is using.

Welcome, Justin!
The way I would see this problem:
There would not be equilibrium for the case of a slope with very little θ angle, since ##F_1## would accelerate the car.
The magnitude of ##F_2## remains always the same.
As the angle of the slope increases little by little, a component of ##F_2## that is parallel to the surface of the slope an in line with ##F_1## appears and also increases little by little.

Your angle is the angle at which the magnitude of that component reaches the magnitude of ##F_1## and the balance is achieved, so the car does not accelerate in any direction.

Force R and the component of F2 that is perpendicular to the surface of the slope will naturally balance each other (Third law of Newton).

Last edited:

1. What is a particle in equilibrium?

A particle in equilibrium refers to an object or system that is at rest or moving at a constant velocity with no unbalanced forces acting on it. This means that the net force and net torque on the object are both equal to zero.

2. How do you determine if an object on an incline is in equilibrium?

To determine if an object on an incline is in equilibrium, you must first draw a free-body diagram of the object. Then, you can use the equations of motion and the principles of equilibrium (such as Newton's Second Law and the conditions for rotational equilibrium) to analyze the forces and torques acting on the object and determine if they are balanced or unbalanced.

3. What are the conditions for an object on an incline to be in equilibrium?

The conditions for an object on an incline to be in equilibrium are that the net force acting on the object must be equal to zero in both the horizontal and vertical directions, and the net torque (or moment) acting on the object must also be equal to zero. This means that the forces and torques acting on the object must be balanced.

4. How does the angle of incline affect the equilibrium of an object?

The angle of incline can affect the equilibrium of an object by changing the components of the forces acting on the object. As the angle increases, the component of the force acting parallel to the incline decreases, while the component of the force acting perpendicular to the incline increases. This can affect the net force and net torque acting on the object, potentially causing it to go out of equilibrium.

5. How can you use the concept of equilibrium to solve real-world problems?

The concept of equilibrium can be used to solve real-world problems by helping us understand and analyze the forces and torques acting on objects in various situations. By applying the principles of equilibrium, we can determine the conditions for an object to be in equilibrium and make predictions about its motion or stability. This can be applied to a wide range of fields, from engineering and physics to biology and economics.