Particle mass atop frictionless hemisphere w/ extra force

In summary, a particle of mass m resting on a frictionless hemisphere of radius R is acted upon by a force F = -mkyα in the y direction. After an initial small displacement, the particle slides down the hemisphere. To find the height above the equator and the speed of the particle at the moment it leaves the surface of the hemisphere, the force equation and energy equation must be used. However, the force of gravity may not be a factor in this problem. The energy equation also does not take into account the work of the force F, which can be calculated using calculus.
juraquille

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m rests atop a frictionless hemisphere of radius R. A force F = -mkyα acts in the y direction. After an initial small displacement, the particle slides down the sphere under the action of the force.

Find a) the height above the equator and b) the speed of the particle, both at the moment that it leaves the surface of the hemisphere.

Homework Equations

I would assume relevant equations include a summation of forces:

ΣF = FN - mgcosθ - mkyαcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel that the key is that the normal force is equal to 0 when the particle leaves the surface of the hemisphere as there is no longer contact between the two. Thus you get:

ΣF = - mgcosθ - mkyαcosθ = mac

at the point when the particle leaves the surface of the hemisphere.

I would also assume that energy is a part of the equation:

E(y=R) = mgR
E(y) = mgy + 1/2mv2

mgR = mgy + 1/2mv2

I figured y= Rcosθ and simplified the energy equation to:

v2 = 2gR(1-cosθ)

Which is helpful when I know that ac = v2/R

Now I assume somewhere in that logic I went wrong because when I try using the energy equation and force equation to set up something where I might find cosθ but it keeps coming out to be a very, very ugly equation which I don't see as plausible. My professor hinted that I could also set the problem up in the non-inertial frame of the particle as it slides down but I wouldn't be sure where to start there. Any help is hugely appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Welcome to PF!

Are you sure you are supposed to include the force of gravity as well as the force F? The problem gives the expression for the force F and then states that the "particle slides down under the action of the force". To me, this wording suggests that maybe gravity is not acting. Without gravity, the algebra is not too bad.

Your energy equation does not take into account the work (or potential energy) associated with the force F.

TSny said:
Your energy equation does not take into account the work (or potential energy) associated with the force F.

Without the force of gravity though, what will the potential energy equation look like? Will there even be a potential energy equation or would it just be the change in energy, W = Fd?

The force F is not constant, so you cannot use W = Fd. You need to use calculus to calculate the work. You can consider the work as the change in a potential energy function. But getting the expression for the potential energy is essentially the same as calculating the work. So, you can just concentrate on finding the work.

1. What is the concept of "particle mass atop frictionless hemisphere w/ extra force"?

The concept refers to a hypothetical scenario in which a particle with a certain mass is placed on top of a perfectly smooth, frictionless hemisphere and an additional external force is applied to it.

2. What is the significance of studying this concept?

Studying this concept can help scientists better understand the effects of external forces on particles and how they behave in different environments. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

3. How does the presence of a frictionless hemisphere affect the particle's movement?

The frictionless hemisphere allows the particle to move without any resistance, which means it can roll freely in any direction. This is in contrast to a flat surface with friction, which would slow down the particle's movement.

4. What is the role of the extra force in this scenario?

The extra force serves as an external influence on the particle's movement, causing it to accelerate or change direction. It also allows scientists to study how different forces affect the particle's motion on a frictionless surface.

5. Are there any real-life examples of this concept?

While the scenario of a particle atop a frictionless hemisphere may not exist in the real world, it can be compared to situations such as a ball rolling down a hill. In both cases, the absence of friction allows the object to move more freely and the addition of an external force can affect its movement.