Inner products with spherical harmonics in quantum mechanics

In summary: For functions on the unit sphere the measure is a bit more complicated, namely it's ##\sin \theta \mathrm{d} \theta \mathrm{d} \varphi##, but this can be easily generalized.
Salmone
Let ##|l,m\rangle## be a simultaneous eigenstate of operators ##L^2## and ##L_z## and we want to calculate ##\langle l,m|cos(\theta)|l,m'\rangle## where ##\theta## is the angle ##[0,\pi]##. It is true that in general ##\langle l,m|cos(\theta)|l,m'\rangle=0## ##(1)## for the same ##l## even if m's are equal? Why?

For example ##\langle1,0|cos(\theta)|1,0\rangle= \int_{}^{} (Y_1^0)^{*}cos(\theta)Y_1^0 \,d\Omega ## is this zero? Does the fact that equation (1) applies have anything to do with parity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Salmone said:
we want to calculate ##\langle l,m|cos(\theta)|l,m'\rangle## where ##\theta## is the angle ##[0,\pi]##.
What does this even mean? ##\cos(\theta)## isn't an operator.

Of course ##\cos \theta## is an operator. The trick to get the matrix elements wrt. the angular-momentum eigenstates is to use the socalled Wigner Eckart theorem to evaluate matrix elements of tensor-operator components. In your case you have ##z=r \cos \theta##, i.e., you can evaluate the corresponding expectation values considering the position-vector components ##\vec{x}##, using the Wigner-Eckart theorem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigner–Eckart_theorem

Likes protonsarecool
It isn't an operator in the form in which the OP used it, i.e. on abstract vectors in Hilbert space.

To calculate the integral in the OP I would write ##\cos\theta## in terms of spherical harmonics. Then you can look up an expansion for the product of two spherical harmonics in terms of a sum of single spherical harmonics (involves Wigner 3j -symbols which you'll need to understand the properties of). From there you can compute the integral using the orthogonality of spherical harmonics.

Likes vanhees71
That's of course another possibility and equivalent with the use of the Wigner-Eckart theorem :-).

Likes Salmone
Thank you for all your answers, I'd like to know how to say instantly that ##\langle lm|cos(\theta)|lm'\rangle=0## using the parity where ##|lm\rangle=Y_l^m(\theta,\phi)##. Is there a way to prove it? By "using parity" I mean something like: spherical harmonics parity is equal to ##(-1)^lY_l^m## and ##cos(\pi-\theta)=-cos(\theta)##

Since ##\cos \theta=z/r## the parity of this operator is ##(-1)##, because the position vector is a polar vector and ##r=|\vec{x}|## is a scalar. Thus the parity of ##\cos \theta Y_{l}^m## is ##(-1)^{l+1}##. Since the spherical harmonics are parity eigenstates, the matrix element is the same ##l## must vanish (or with different ##l## of the same parity, i.e., with both ##l## even or both odd).

Likes Salmone
@vanhees71 I can't get the last passage, why the matrix element in the same ##l## must vanish? If possible, could you be more explicit please?

Obviously ##\cos \theta Y_{l}^m(\theta,\phi)## has the opposite parity than ##Y_{l}^{m'}(\theta,\phi)##. That implies that the integrand in the integral of the matrix element is antisymmetric under ##\theta \rightarrow \pi-\theta##, which makes the integral over ##\theta \in [0,\pi]## vanish.

Indeed if ##f(\theta)=-f(\pi-\theta)## you have on the one hand
$$I=\int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \theta \sin \theta f(\theta).$$
Now substitute ##\theta'=\pi-\theta##
$$I=\int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \theta' \sin(\pi-\theta') f(\pi-\theta').$$
Now ##\sin(\pi-\theta')=\sin \theta'## and by assumption ##f(\pi-\theta')=-f(\theta')##, i.e.,
$$I=-\int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \theta' \sin \theta' f(\theta')=-I \; \Rightarrow \; I=0.$$

Likes gentzen and Salmone
Salmone said:
For example ##\langle L,0|cos(\theta)L,0\rangle= \int_{}^{} (Y_L^0)^{*}cos(\theta)Y_L^0 \,d\Omega ## is this zero?
It's just simple integration. After the substitution ##z=\cos\theta##, the integral becomes ##\int_{-1}^{+1}dz## of an odd function of z which vanishes.

Likes gentzen, vanhees71 and Salmone
The scalar product for functions on the unit sphere is defined by
$$\langle f|g \rangle=\int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \theta \int_0^{2 \pi} \mathrm{d} \phi \sin \theta f^*(\theta,\phi) g(\theta,\phi).$$
In my calculation
$$f(\theta)=Y_l^{m*}(\theta,\varphi) Y_l^{m'}(\theta,\varphi) \cos \theta.$$
The integral over ##\theta## alone makes the integral vanish, no matter what the ##\phi## dependence is. The ##\sin \theta## must be in the integral because of the definition of the scalar product for ##\mathrm{L}^2(\Omega)##, where ##\Omega## is the unit sphere in ##\mathbb{R}^3##.

Likes Salmone
Likes vanhees71
One last thing, is it possible to write the integral as ##\int_{-1}^{1} \mathrm{d} cos\theta \int_0^{2 \pi} \mathrm{d} \phi f^*(\theta,\phi) g(\theta,\phi)## so that I'm integrating from ##-1## to ##1## an odd function?

Likes vanhees71
Sure. Just substitute ##u=\cos \theta##. Then ##\mathrm{d} u =-\mathrm{d} \theta \sin \theta## and thus
$$\langle f|g \rangle = \int_{-1}^1 \mathrm{d} u \int_0^{2 \pi} \mathrm{d} \phi f^* g,$$
where I wrote in a somewhat sloppy notation.

Likes Salmone

1. What is an inner product in quantum mechanics?

An inner product is a mathematical operation used to measure the similarity or "overlap" between two quantum states. It is similar to a dot product in linear algebra, but takes into account the complex nature of quantum states.

2. How are spherical harmonics used in quantum mechanics?

Spherical harmonics are a set of mathematical functions that describe the spatial distribution of a quantum state. They are often used to represent the angular part of a wavefunction in quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of using spherical harmonics in inner products?

Using spherical harmonics in inner products allows for a more accurate measurement of the similarity between quantum states, as it takes into account the spatial distribution of the states. This is especially important in systems with spherical symmetry.

4. How do you calculate the inner product of two quantum states using spherical harmonics?

The inner product of two quantum states can be calculated by integrating the product of their respective wavefunctions over all space. In the case of spherical harmonics, this involves integrating over both the radial and angular components of the wavefunctions.

5. Can inner products with spherical harmonics be used to calculate physical observables?

Yes, inner products with spherical harmonics can be used to calculate physical observables such as energy and angular momentum. This is because the inner product is related to the probability of measuring a particular state, and physical observables are directly related to the probabilities of different measurement outcomes.