Particle Physics: Definitions & Names Explained

In summary, the speaker has a limited background in particle physics and is looking for help understanding certain particles. They mention that they do not need explanations for basic particles like protons and electrons, but are interested in learning about mesons, gluons, tau particles, and others. They ask for recommendations for resources and someone suggests a website with a chart on fundamental particles and interactions.
Nenad
hello everyone. I have a limited background in particle physics (books). I was wondering if someone can help me with definitions of what certain particles are and what their names pertain to. No need to explain basic stuff (protons, neutrons, neutrinos, electrons, photons, positrons, gravitons, leeptons and quarks). I was wondering about mesons, gluons, tau particles, ... etc...

If anyone has a good link for this, it would be very much apreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you been reading? Any good book that talks about quarks should at the very least talk about mesons. Anyway, if you have a decent math background (calculus and algebra), you should try David Griffiths' "Introduction to Elementary Particles". I'm sure someone here can suggest alternatives to that.

Nenad said:
hello everyone. I have a limited background in particle physics (books). I was wondering if someone can help me with definitions of what certain particles are and what their names pertain to. No need to explain basic stuff (protons, neutrons, neutrinos, electrons, photons, positrons, gravitons, leeptons and quarks). I was wondering about mesons, gluons, tau particles, ... etc...

If anyone has a good link for this, it would be very much apreciated. Thanks.

Try: http://particleadventure.org/particleadventure/index_old.html

They have a really great one-page chart for the Fundamental Particles and Interactions. It has a black background.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanx guys.

Related to Particle Physics: Definitions & Names Explained

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles and interactions that make up the universe. It aims to understand the nature of matter and energy at the smallest scales, using theories and experiments to explain the behavior of particles and their interactions.

2. What are the basic building blocks of matter in particle physics?

The basic building blocks of matter in particle physics are called elementary particles. These include quarks, leptons, and gauge bosons. Quarks and leptons are considered the fundamental particles, while gauge bosons are responsible for mediating interactions between particles.

3. What is the Standard Model in particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theory in particle physics that explains the properties and interactions of all known elementary particles. It is currently the most successful theory in particle physics and has been validated by numerous experiments. However, it does not explain certain phenomena, such as gravity and dark matter, and is therefore still being studied and refined.

4. What is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) and why is it important?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, located at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). It is used to collide particles at high energies, allowing scientists to study the fundamental particles and their interactions in a controlled environment. The LHC is important because it has enabled discoveries such as the Higgs boson and has the potential to uncover new physics beyond the Standard Model.

5. How are particles named in particle physics?

Particles in particle physics are typically named based on their properties, such as mass, charge, and spin. For example, the up and down quarks are named based on their charges (+2/3 and -1/3, respectively), while the electron is named after its spin (1/2). Some particles also have names based on the scientists who discovered or predicted them, such as the Higgs boson and the Z boson.