Particle with horizontal velocity and vertical acceleration

In summary: So, in summary, the final speed of the particle is 9.11 m/s. To find the final speed of a particle moving at 6.5 m/s in the positive x direction with an acceleration of 0.9 m/s^2 in the positive y direction for 2.9 seconds, we use the equations vy = viy +ay t = 0 + (.9)(2.9) and vx= vix + ax t = (6.5) + ax (2.9) and then v=sqrt( x^2 + y^2) to find the magnitude of the resultant vector, which is equal to the final speed of the particle.
Robertoalva
1. A particle moving at a velocity of 6.5 m/s in the positive x direction is given an acceleration of 0.9 m/s^2 in the positive y direction for 2.9 s. What is the final speed of the particle?

Homework Equations

v= vi +at

The Attempt at a Solution

v= 6.5 + (.9)(2.9)= 9.11 m/s

I don't know if the velocity is right. the velocity is horizontal, and acceleration is vertical, so it makes me doubt.

Physics news on Phys.org
The horizontal and vertical components of the velocity are independent; They should be treated as vector components when you "add" them. The final speed will be the magnitude of the resultant vector.

so, i have to use the following, vy = viy +ay t and vx= vix + ax t ??

Robertoalva said:
so, i have to use the following, vy = viy +ay t and vx= vix + ax t ??

That's right. Before, you were using v = vy + axt, which doesn't make sense, since those directions are perpendicular. You'll need to take gneill's advice about what to do from there.

vy = viy +ay t = viy + (.9)(2.9)

vx= vix + ax t = (6.5) + ax (2.9)

how do i get the missing values?

Robertoalva said:
vy = viy +ay t = viy + (.9)(2.9)

vx= vix + ax t = (6.5) + ax (2.9)

how do i get the missing values?

Initially the particle had only a velocity in the x-direction. So what was the initial y-direction speed? If the acceleration is only in the y-direction, what's the x-direction acceleration?

Hint: zero is a perfectly good value for a parameter :smile:

so basically

vy = viy +ay t = 0 + (.9)(2.9) and because i have already the velocity of the x direction i can do the v=sqrt( x^2 + y^2) right?

Robertoalva said:
so basically

vy = viy +ay t = 0 + (.9)(2.9) and because i have already the velocity of the x direction i can do the v=sqrt( x^2 + y^2) right?

Yup. That's right.

Likes 1 person

Related to Particle with horizontal velocity and vertical acceleration

1. What is a particle with horizontal velocity and vertical acceleration?

A particle with horizontal velocity and vertical acceleration is an object that is moving horizontally at a constant speed while also accelerating vertically due to the force of gravity. This type of motion is often seen in objects that are thrown or launched into the air.

2. How is the motion of a particle with horizontal velocity and vertical acceleration affected by air resistance?

Air resistance can impact the motion of a particle with horizontal velocity and vertical acceleration by slowing down its vertical acceleration. This is because air resistance creates a force that is opposite to the direction of motion, causing the object to experience a net force that is less than the force of gravity pulling it down.

3. Can a particle with horizontal velocity and vertical acceleration change direction?

Yes, a particle with horizontal velocity and vertical acceleration can change direction if there is a force acting on it that is not balanced. For example, if an object is thrown horizontally and then experiences a strong wind blowing in the opposite direction, it can change its direction of motion.

4. How is the horizontal and vertical motion of a particle with horizontal velocity and vertical acceleration related?

The horizontal and vertical motion of a particle with horizontal velocity and vertical acceleration are independent of each other. This means that the motion in one direction does not affect the motion in the other direction. The object will continue to move horizontally at a constant velocity while also accelerating vertically due to gravity.

5. How can the horizontal and vertical components of a particle's motion be calculated?

The horizontal and vertical components of a particle's motion can be calculated using trigonometric functions. The horizontal component can be found using the initial velocity and the angle at which the object is launched. The vertical component can be found using the acceleration due to gravity and the time the object has been in motion. These components can then be used to calculate the overall speed and direction of the object's motion.