Particular Solution for y'' -5y' +6y = te^t with Simple Roots

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
In summary, Micromass said that you need to find a particular solution of the equation y'' - 5y' + 6y = tet that doesn't involve e2t or e3t. However, this solution is not found in his book.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Find a particular soln

[tex]y'' -5y' +6y = te^t[/tex]

The characteristic eqtn is [tex]r^2 - 5r + 6 = (r - 2)(r - 3)[/tex]

r = 2, 3

According to my book

[PLAIN]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4539/unledxe.jpg

So I thought

[tex]y = t(At + A_0)e^{2t} + t(Bt + B_0)e^{3t} [/tex]

But not working...

what exatly is a simple root?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi flyingpig! :smile:

You seemed to use r=2 and r=3, which is incorrect.
What is the correct r? You only need to look at the right-hand side of

[tex]y^{\prime\prime}-5y^\prime+6y=te^t[/tex]

To elaborate on what micromass said, r = 2 and r = 3 are roots of the characteristic equation, meaning that e2t and e3t are solutions of the homogeneous equation y'' - 5y' + 6y = 0. All solutions of this equation have the form yc = c1e2t + c2e3t, where yc is the complementary solution (the solution to the homogeneous problem).

What you're asked for is a particular solution of the equation y'' - 5y' + 6y = tet. This solution will involve et, but won't involve e2t or e3t.

I would try a particular solution of the form:
[tex]
y_{p}=ate^{t}+be^{t}
[/tex]

But that's what (14) says

and did you try it?

[tex]y = t(At + A_0)e^{t}[/tex]?

No. It is not the same function hunt_mat suggested. Try that. ehild

flyingpig said:
[tex]y = t(At + A_0)e^{t}[/tex]?
You're not reading the problem correctly, particularly item (i).
"s = 0 if r is not a root of the associated auxiliary equation."

Mark44 said:
You're not reading the problem correctly, particularly item (i).
"s = 0 if r is not a root of the associated auxiliary equation."

Yeah I don't understand what dose that mean? r is a root, i have two??

r has nothing to do with the characteristic equation. r is determined by the right-hand side of the equation, that is: [itex]te^t[/itex].
Thus t=1 here.

Now, to determine s, the characteristic equation does come into play. You'll need to check whether r is a root of the characteristic equation.

micromass said:
r has nothing to do with the characteristic equation. r is determined by the right-hand side of the equation, that is: [itex]te^t[/itex].
Thus t=1 here.

Now, to determine s, the characteristic equation does come into play. You'll need to check whether r is a root of the characteristic equation.

That clears up ALOT.

Just one other thing. Is the table one of those things yo just have to remember?

1. What is a particular solution?

A particular solution is a specific function that satisfies a given differential equation. In this case, we are looking for a function that satisfies the equation y'' -5y' +6y = te^t.

2. How do you find the particular solution for a differential equation?

To find the particular solution for a differential equation, we use the method of undetermined coefficients. This involves assuming a form for the particular solution and then solving for the unknown coefficients.

3. What are simple roots?

Simple roots refer to the roots of the characteristic equation of a differential equation. In this case, the characteristic equation is r^2 -5r +6 = 0, which has simple roots of r=2 and r=3.

4. Why is it important to find the particular solution for a differential equation?

Finding the particular solution allows us to solve for the entire family of solutions for a given differential equation. This helps us to understand the behavior and properties of the system described by the equation.

5. Can there be more than one particular solution for a differential equation?

Yes, there can be more than one particular solution for a differential equation. This is because the method of undetermined coefficients involves making an assumption for the particular solution, and different assumptions can lead to different particular solutions.