Particular solution to linear nonhomogeneous equation

In summary, the student is trying to find the particular solutions to the equation L''+w^2L=cn^2sin(nt)+w^2b where w,c,n are constants. First, they split the equation into two, and then tried to solve for the particular solution for the first one, but they weren't quite sure how to do it. For the second particular solution, they guessed that L=Acos(nt)+Bsin(nt). They also tried to solve for Acos(nt)+Bsin(nt) for the first solution, but they got Lp2=(cn^2sin(nt))/(w^2-n^2). Finally, they figured out how to
spacetimedude

Homework Statement

I started learning about solving non homogeneous linear differential equations in class and I am a bit clueless on how to solve them since I've never had a prior experience with much of differential equation.

I am trying to find the particular solutions to the equation L''+w^2L=cn^2sin(nt)+w^2b where w,c,n are constants.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I split the equation into two:
Lp1=> L''+w^2L=w^2b
Lp2=>L''+w^2L=cn^2sin(nt)

Not quite sure how to solve for the particular solution for the first one.

Lp2:
We guess that L=Acos(nt)+Bsin(nt).
Then we have
L'=-nAsin(nt)+nBcos(nt)
L''=-n^2Acos(nt)-n^2Bsin(nt)=-n^2(Acos(nt)+Bcos(nt))

Plugging back into the equation =>
(-n^2(Acos(nt)+Bcos(nt)))+w^2(Acos(nt)+Bsin(nt))=cn^2sin(nt)

What do we do from here?
Any help will be appreciated.

EDIT:
For the second particular solution, do we just solve for Acos(nt)+Bsin(nt) because we supposed that is L?
In that case, I get Lp2=(cn^2sin(nt))/(w^2-n^2).

Also, for the first solution, do we guess that Lp1 is a constant, so when we take the second derivative, L'' becomes 0, so it just becomes w^2L=w^2b, hence L=b?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
spacetimedude said:

Homework Statement

I started learning about solving non homogeneous linear differential equations in class and I am a bit clueless on how to solve them since I've never had a prior experience with much of differential equation.

I am trying to find the particular solutions to the equation L''+w^2L=cn^2sin(nt)+w^2b where w,c,n are constants.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I split the equation into two:
Lp1=> L''+w^2L=w^2b
Lp2=>L''+w^2L=cn^2sin(nt)

Not quite sure how to solve for the particular solution for the first one.

Lp2:
We guess that L=Acos(nt)+Bsin(nt).
Then we have
L'=-nAsin(nt)+nBcos(nt)
L''=-n^2Acos(nt)-n^2Bsin(nt)=-n^2(Acos(nt)+Bcos(nt))

Plugging back into the equation =>
(-n^2(Acos(nt)+Bcos(nt)))+w^2(Acos(nt)+Bsin(nt))=cn^2sin(nt)

What do we do from here?
Any help will be appreciated.

EDIT:
For the second particular solution, do we just solve for Acos(nt)+Bsin(nt) because we supposed that is L?
In that case, I get Lp2=(cn^2sin(nt))/(w^2-n^2).

Also, for the first solution, do we guess that Lp1 is a constant, so when we take the second derivative, L'' becomes 0, so it just becomes w^2L=w^2b, hence L=b?

It may be easiest to eliminate the constant on the right, by writing the DE for ##M = L + \text{constant}## and figuring out what the appropriate constant would be in order to have the simpler right-hand-side ##cn^2 \sin(nt)##.

1. What is a particular solution to a linear nonhomogeneous equation?

A particular solution to a linear nonhomogeneous equation is a specific solution that satisfies the given equation, while also satisfying any initial conditions or boundary conditions that may be specified.

2. How is a particular solution different from the general solution to a linear nonhomogeneous equation?

The general solution to a linear nonhomogeneous equation includes a term known as the complementary function, which satisfies the homogeneous version of the equation. A particular solution, on the other hand, is a specific solution that takes into account any nonhomogeneous terms in the equation.

3. Can a particular solution to a linear nonhomogeneous equation exist without a complementary function?

Yes, it is possible for a particular solution to exist without a complementary function. This occurs when the nonhomogeneous terms in the equation are equal to zero, making the equation homogeneous and eliminating the need for a complementary function.

4. How can I find a particular solution to a linear nonhomogeneous equation?

There are several methods for finding a particular solution to a linear nonhomogeneous equation, including the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and the annihilator method. The best method to use depends on the specific equation and its terms.

5. Is there a way to check if a particular solution to a linear nonhomogeneous equation is correct?

Yes, you can plug the particular solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, if initial conditions or boundary conditions are given, you can check if the particular solution satisfies those as well.