Partition Function for a helium atom

In summary: It's a question of interpretation. Re-reading the problem as you stated it in the OP, I think indeed that you need to calculate the relative population of the excited state as ##P_2/P_1##, which in my example would give ##0.1/0.9 \approx 0.111##.
1v1Dota2RightMeow

Homework Statement

The first excited state of the helium atom lies at an energy 19.82 eV above the ground state. If this excited state is three-fold degenerate while the ground state is non-degenerate, find the relative populations of the first excited and the ground states for helium gas in thermal equilibrium at 10,000K.

Homework Equations

$$Z=\sum_i e^{-\varepsilon /kT}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$Z=\sum_i e^{-\varepsilon /kT}$$
$$Z=3e^{-(19.82eV) /(8.617e-5eV/K)(10000K)}$$
$$Z=3.074e-10$$

I found the partition constant for the first excited state, but then I'm not sure what to do. What do they mean by "the relative populations"?

Physics news on Phys.org
1v1Dota2RightMeow said:
I found the partition constant for the first excited state,
That statement doesn't make sense. The partition function is a sum over all states. You can't find the partition function for a single state.

1v1Dota2RightMeow said:
What do they mean by "the relative populations"?
##P_2/P_1##, where ##P_1## is the population of the ground state and ##P_2## the population of the excited state.

DrClaude said:
That statement doesn't make sense. The partition function is a sum over all states. You can't find the partition function for a single state.##P_2/P_1##, where ##P_1## is the population of the ground state and ##P_2## the population of the excited state.

DrClaude, thank you for responding. What exactly is the ''population'' of a ground state of an atom?

1v1Dota2RightMeow said:
DrClaude, thank you for responding. What exactly is the ''population'' of a ground state of an atom?
It's the number of atoms in the ground state. The term comes from the idea that you have an ensemble of identically prepared systems: if you have 100 atoms with a probability of .9 of being in the ground state, then the population of the ground state is 90, and the relative population is .9.

DrClaude said:
It's the number of atoms in the ground state. The term comes from the idea that you have an ensemble of identically prepared systems: if you have 100 atoms with a probability of .9 of being in the ground state, then the population of the ground state is 90, and the relative population is .9.

Wouldn't the relative population then be $$P2/P1 = 90/10 = 9$$

1v1Dota2RightMeow said:
Wouldn't the relative population then be $$P2/P1 = 90/10 = 9$$
It's a question of interpretation. Re-reading the problem as you stated it in the OP, I think indeed that you need to calculate the relative population of the excited state as ##P_2/P_1##, which in my example would give ##0.1/0.9 \approx 0.111##.

Likes 1v1Dota2RightMeow

1. What is the partition function for a helium atom?

The partition function for a helium atom is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system. It represents the sum of all possible energy states that a helium atom can occupy at a given temperature.

2. How is the partition function for a helium atom calculated?

The partition function for a helium atom can be calculated using the Boltzmann distribution, which takes into account the energy levels and degeneracy of the atom. It is expressed as the sum of e^(-Ei/kT), where Ei is the energy of the ith state and k is the Boltzmann constant.

3. What is the significance of the partition function for a helium atom?

The partition function for a helium atom is important because it allows us to calculate the average energy, entropy, and other thermodynamic properties of the atom at a given temperature. It also helps us understand the behavior of helium atoms in various physical and chemical processes.

4. How does temperature affect the partition function for a helium atom?

The partition function for a helium atom increases with increasing temperature, as more energy states become accessible to the atom. This results in a higher average energy and entropy, and can also affect the atom's reactivity and other properties.

5. Can the partition function for a helium atom be used to predict the behavior of other atoms?

Yes, the partition function for a helium atom can be used as a general model for other atoms and molecules, as long as their energy levels and degeneracy are known. It is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics and is applicable to a wide range of systems, from single atoms to complex molecules.