Partition function for harmonic oscillators

In summary: Summing over ##E## gives you the partition function. The canonical partition function is a particular case of the general partition function, which you can look up. In summary, the partition function for a harmonic oscillator with ##N## energy levels is given by: Z = E kT.
Silviu

Homework Statement

Calculate the partition function, the entropy and the heat capacity of a system of N independent harmonic oscillators, with hamiltonian ##H = \sum_1^n(p_i^2+\omega^2q_i^2)##

Homework Equations

##Z = \sum_E e^{-E/kT}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure what to do. From what I see this is not a quantum oscillator (and we haven't covered that in class anyway) so the E in the formula for partition function would have any value from 0 to infinity so It would turn into an integral. But this can be argued for a single classical harmonic oscillator, too, so I don't know where to use the fact that there are N of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the Hamiltonian for a quantum mechanical HO, I would say. ##m## has been set to 1 for convenience. The link tells you energy levels, which you will need.

What are you summing over to get your partition function ? I don't see the oscillators (for example if there are 100 oscillators, how does that end up in your summation?)

Be sure to keep the numbering of the energy levels of a single oscillator and the numbering of the oscillators themselves well distinguished.

Silviu said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the partition function, the entropy and the heat capacity of a system of N independent harmonic oscillators, with hamiltonian ##H = \sum_1^n(p_i^2+\omega^2q_i^2)##

Homework Equations

##Z = \sum_E e^{-E/kT}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure what to do. From what I see this is not a quantum oscillator (and we haven't covered that in class anyway) so the E in the formula for partition function would have any value from 0 to infinity so It would turn into an integral. But this can be argued for a single classical harmonic oscillator, too, so I don't know where to use the fact that there are N of them.
Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_function_(statistical_mechanics) and read about the canonical partition function. The fact you have ##N## oscillators is reflected in the Hamiltonian.

1. What is the partition function for harmonic oscillators?

The partition function for harmonic oscillators is a mathematical expression used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of energy states for a system of harmonic oscillators at a given temperature. It is denoted by the letter Z and is defined as the sum of the Boltzmann factors for all possible energy states.

2. How is the partition function for harmonic oscillators calculated?

The partition function for harmonic oscillators can be calculated using the formula Z = ∑e^(-E/kT), where E is the energy of a particular state, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature. This formula sums over all possible energy states for the system, and the resulting value represents the total number of possible configurations of the system at a given temperature.

3. What is the significance of the partition function for harmonic oscillators?

The partition function for harmonic oscillators is an important quantity in statistical mechanics as it allows us to calculate various thermodynamic properties of a system, such as the average energy and entropy. It provides a link between the microscopic properties of a system and its macroscopic behavior.

4. How does the partition function for harmonic oscillators relate to the harmonic oscillator model?

The partition function for harmonic oscillators is directly related to the energy levels of a harmonic oscillator. In fact, it can be seen as a generalization of the energy levels of a single harmonic oscillator to a system of multiple oscillators. The partition function takes into account the different energy levels and their corresponding probabilities in the system, providing a more accurate description of the system's behavior.

5. Can the partition function for harmonic oscillators be applied to other systems?

Yes, the partition function for harmonic oscillators can be applied to any system that can be modeled as a collection of harmonic oscillators, such as molecules, solids, and even photons. It is a versatile tool in statistical mechanics and has many applications in understanding the thermodynamic properties of various systems.