Partition Function For a Single Molecule

In summary, polymers like rubber bands are made up of long molecules tangled in a high entropy configuration. Each molecule has two possible states, pointing left or right, with corresponding energies. The end-to-end length of the rubber band is determined by the average number of molecules pointing left or right. The partition function for a single molecule is given by the attached screenshot.
conorod

Homework Statement

Polymers, such as rubberbands, are made of very long molecules, usually
tangled up in a configuration that has lots of entropy. As a very crude
example of a rubber band, consider a chain of N molecules which we call
links, each of length l. Imagine that each link has only two possible states,
pointing either left or right. If a link point to the right, it has energy −lF,
where F > 0 is the force pulling on the rubber band. If a link points to the
left, it has energy +lF. The end-to-end length of the rubber is
L = (<NR> − <NL>)l ,
where <NR> and <NL> are the average number of links that point to the right
and to the left, respectively.
(i) Write the partition function for a single link (molecule), Z1.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I did this out in microsoft word I attached a screenshot of what I think is the solution - partition functions are not my strong point and I have an exam tomorrow where I believe a similar question will come up, so I just want to check if I have the correct answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks right to me.

1. What is the partition function for a single molecule?

The partition function for a single molecule is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of energy among different states of a molecule. It takes into account the different energy levels and their corresponding probabilities, and is used to calculate thermodynamic properties of the molecule, such as its internal energy, entropy, and free energy.

2. How is the partition function calculated?

The partition function is calculated by summing over all possible energy states of the molecule, each multiplied by their corresponding Boltzmann factor. The Boltzmann factor takes into account the energy of each state and the temperature of the system. The resulting sum is then used in various thermodynamic equations to determine the properties of the molecule.

3. What does the value of the partition function represent?

The value of the partition function is related to the thermodynamic properties of the molecule. It represents the probability of the molecule occupying a certain energy state at a given temperature, as well as the total number of possible energy states available to the molecule.

4. How does the partition function change with temperature?

The partition function is directly dependent on temperature, as shown in the Boltzmann factor. As temperature increases, the probability of occupying higher energy states also increases, resulting in a larger partition function. This means that at higher temperatures, the molecule has access to more energy states and its thermodynamic properties will change accordingly.

5. Can the partition function be applied to larger systems?

Yes, the partition function concept can be extended to larger systems, such as a collection of molecules. In this case, the partition function for the entire system would be the product of the individual partition functions for each molecule. This allows for the calculation of thermodynamic properties for more complex systems, such as gases and liquids.