Partition function, particular energy for microstate

In summary, using the equipartition theorem to assign an energy to each state in this scenario is a valid approach, resulting in a simplified partition function that allows for the calculation of the changes in thermodynamic quantities.
pieterb

Homework Statement

The problem is simple: two compartments, allowed to exchange heat with environment (canonical ensemble) are allowed to mix. Show change in U,P and S.

Homework Equations

[tex]Z_{total} = \frac{1}{N!} Z_{1}^{N} [/tex]
[tex]Z_{1} = e^{-\beta E_{j}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to derive all the required thermodynamic quantities from the partition theorem. I am however stuck at assigning a particular energy to the state my system is in. I am inclined to simply use the equipartition theorem and say [tex]E_{j} = \frac{3}{2} k T[/tex]. Somehow I feel that is way too simple, since that means my partition function reduces to [tex] Z_{total} = \frac{1}{N!} e^{-\frac{3}{2}}[/tex].

Am I right in doing this, or how should I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is correct. Using the equipartition theorem to assign an energy to each state is a valid approach in this scenario. The resulting partition function may seem simple, but it is a direct consequence of the system having only two energy levels (corresponding to the two compartments) and being allowed to exchange heat with the environment. This simplicity is what makes the problem solvable and allows for the calculation of the changes in U, P, and S.

If you want to verify your solution, you can also use the canonical ensemble formula for the partition function, which is Z = \sum_{i} e^{-\beta E_{i}}. In this case, since there are only two energy levels, the sum can be simplified to Z = e^{-\beta E_{1}} + e^{-\beta E_{2}}. Plugging in the energy values you assigned (E_{1} = 0 and E_{2} = \frac{3}{2} k T), you will get the same result as using the equipartition theorem.

Overall, your approach is valid and you can proceed with deriving the changes in U, P, and S from the partition function you calculated.

Related to Partition function, particular energy for microstate

1. What is a partition function?

A partition function is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to describe the probability that a system will be in a particular state. It is a sum of all the possible energy states of a system weighted by their respective probabilities.

2. What is the significance of the partition function in statistical mechanics?

The partition function is a key concept in statistical mechanics as it allows us to calculate important thermodynamic properties of a system, such as temperature, entropy, and free energy. It also provides a link between the microscopic properties of a system and its macroscopic behavior.

3. How is the partition function related to the energy of a microstate?

The partition function is directly related to the energy of a microstate. It is a sum of the Boltzmann factors, which are proportional to the energy of each microstate. This allows us to calculate the average energy of a system at a given temperature.

4. Can the partition function be used to describe all types of systems?

Yes, the partition function can be used to describe all types of systems, including classical and quantum systems. However, the specific form of the partition function may vary depending on the system and its properties.

5. How is the partition function related to the thermodynamic free energy?

The partition function is related to the thermodynamic free energy through the equation F = -kT ln(Z), where F is the free energy, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature, and Z is the partition function. This relationship allows us to calculate the free energy of a system from the partition function.