Parton distribution functions

Elham1990
TL;DR Summary
Parton distribution functions
Hello
I plotted the Parton distribution functions in Mathematica. Now I want to compare the graphs drawn with the graphs of other groups(xu and xd). How should I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you just asking how to plot several graphs in the same plot in mathematica? In that case I guess have a look here https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Plot.html, the second syntax is what you want. Maybe I am not understanding what the question is?

Likes ohwilleke
I'm asking about comparing my results with other groups. I don't have other groups data such as H1, Cteq. I Plotted my results in Mathematica and I have other groups article. now, how can I compare these without their Mathematica codes?

If I type "graph of parton distribution functions" into Google, I get two million hits. OK, so they are not all useful, I am sure, but there are many dozens (probably hundreds) of such plots, and so I conclude that isn't what you want.

You need to be more descriptive in what you want - and this is the third time you've been asked.

Elham1990 said:
I don't have other groups data
Different groups publish their results in different formats, have you checked out their respective websites?

There is a universal interface called lhapdf https://lhapdf.hepforge.org/ where you will probably find any today relevant (proton) pdf set. I don't think they have a native Mathematica interface but the python one is pretty usable if I remember correctly.

Likes ohwilleke

What are parton distribution functions (PDFs)?

Parton Distribution Functions (PDFs) are mathematical functions that describe how the momentum of a proton is distributed among its constituent partons (quarks and gluons). These functions are crucial in the study of high-energy particle physics to predict the outcomes of collisions in particle accelerators like the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

Why are PDFs important in particle physics?

PDFs are essential for making predictions using quantum chromodynamics (QCD), the theory of the strong interaction, part of the Standard Model of particle physics. They allow physicists to calculate the cross sections of various scattering processes involving hadrons, which are necessary for interpreting experimental data and for exploring fundamental aspects of matter.

How are PDFs determined?

PDFs cannot be calculated directly from first principles due to the complexity of QCD. Instead, they are extracted from experimental data, such as deep inelastic scattering experiments. This involves sophisticated statistical analysis and global fitting techniques that compare theoretical predictions with experimental results across different types of processes and energy scales.

What is the role of QCD in defining PDFs?

Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD) is the theory that describes the strong interaction between quarks and gluons, which are the fundamental constituents of protons and neutrons. QCD dynamics are central to the behavior of these partons inside the proton, influencing how their momentum and spin are distributed, which in turn defines the shape and evolution of PDFs at different energy scales.

How do PDFs evolve with energy scale?

The evolution of PDFs with respect to the energy scale is described by the Dokshitzer-Gribov-Lipatov-Altarelli-Parisi (DGLAP) equations. These equations predict how PDFs change as the energy scale of the interaction increases, which is crucial for making accurate predictions at different energies, particularly in high-energy particle collisions.