Path integral and causally disconnected parts of universe....

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of particles in two regions of the universe that are moving away from each other at speeds faster than the speed of light. The speakers question whether these particles can still interact with each other, and whether decoherence is the solution to this problem. The concept of locality in quantum field theory is also discussed as a way to understand this phenomenon. Ultimately, it is concluded that while particles in these causally disconnected regions cannot directly influence each other, their interactions can still be observed through other means.
asimov42
One more question: it appears that portions of the universe are expanding away from us faster than the speed of light. Given this, particles in two 'parts' of the universe that are no longer causally connected should not be able to influence each other (due to speed of light constraint).

So, say I have an electron sitting happily in one part of the universe and a proton in that moves into a portion of space receding from the electron at a speed faster than light.

Now, the quantum wave function for each particle should occupy all of spacetime, and so when I compute the path integral, in theory, I should include terms for the electron and the proton interacting - however, any measurable interaction would violate relativity (by transmitting information). So, is it the case that the relevant terms in the path integral 'cancel' in some way, such that relativity is respected?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The current recession speed is not the relevant point, you also have to take into account the past and/or future recession speed. Things at the edge of the causally connected part of the universe (as seen by us) currently have a recession speed slightly above c, the speed was significantly above c in the past.
asimov42 said:
Now, the quantum wave function for each particle should occupy all of spacetime
Decoherence prevents that. If you imagine a universe where no decoherence happens, then electron and proton are not localized - it does not make sense to talk about their distance as single value.

Interactions, at least in QFT, are always local.

Thanks mfb - sorry, still not quite clear - so because of decoherence, the two particle wave functions would effectively not interact? Is this guaranteed (in a probabilistic sense)? I'm not overly familiar with decoherence, but I'm assuming this is the 'solution' to the having to compute the path integral that involves their (the particles') interaction?

Just to be clear though - the full path integral would include terms for the interactions of the particles, even if they're causally disconnected? It seems like decoherence sort of 'sweeps under the rug' some of the these issues. Is decoherence in QFT really the solution to the problem of influence between causally disconnected regions of spacetime? Prior to rise of the decoherence idea, how was this dealt with?

At the very least, to make it crystal clear in my mind, particles in regions of space moving apart at > c cannot influence one another's behaviour? (because, again, influence would amount to the flow of information between the particles).

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions.

Actually, mfb, perhaps the easiest thing would be just to expand on what you mean by all interactions in QFT being local? (and sorry, above I'm calling the electron and proton 'particles', but I realize they really should be field excitations).

The path integral must of course contain information about all of spacetime, since you can calculate correlations of spacelike separated observables. However, if you are only interested in observables with support in one region of spacetime, you will get results that are independent of the rest of spacetime. It's like taking a partial trace in the Hamiltonian formulation.

asimov42 said:
so because of decoherence, the two particle wave functions would effectively not interact?
No, the wave functions as you imagine them do not exist in the first place.
asimov42 said:
At the very least, to make it crystal clear in my mind, particles in regions of space moving apart at > c cannot influence one another's behaviour?
As I said above, the apparent recession velocity is not the relevant parameter. The CMB light we see today (=interaction) was emitted by things where the distance to us increased faster than the speed of light at any point in time. There are regions in space that cannot influence each other, correct.
asimov42 said:
Actually, mfb, perhaps the easiest thing would be just to expand on what you mean by all interactions in QFT being local? (and sorry, above I'm calling the electron and proton 'particles', but I realize they really should be field excitations).
What is unclear about locality? An event A cannot influence an event B if B is not in the future light cone of A. If you consider a single moment in time, then nothing has a "range" - because everything can only influence the fields at the same place.

What is the path integral in physics?

The path integral is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point to another in space and time. It takes into account all possible paths that the particle could take, rather than just the classical or most probable path.

How does the path integral relate to causally disconnected parts of the universe?

The path integral is used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level, including those in causally disconnected parts of the universe. This means that the path integral allows us to understand how particles behave even in regions of the universe that are not causally connected, or where light cannot reach due to the expansion of the universe.

Why is the concept of causally disconnected parts of the universe important?

Understanding causally disconnected parts of the universe is important for our understanding of the universe as a whole. It allows us to study how particles and energy behave in regions that we may not be able to observe directly, and can provide insights into the early universe and its evolution.

How do scientists use the path integral to study causally disconnected parts of the universe?

Scientists use the path integral to calculate the probability of particles moving between different points in spacetime, including those in causally disconnected parts of the universe. By studying these probabilities, scientists can gain a better understanding of the behavior of particles in regions that are not directly observable.

What are some potential implications of studying causally disconnected parts of the universe?

Studying causally disconnected parts of the universe can have implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the evolution of the universe. It can also help us better understand phenomena such as dark energy and dark matter, which are thought to make up a large portion of the universe but are not directly observable.