Pauli Exclusion Principle: how does an electron know its state?

In summary, the electrons of an atom cannot have the same values for the four quantum numbers (n, ℓ, mℓ, and ms). The electron field cannot have the same state, and this is why it is called the principle of electron pairing.
Mr Wolf
This is one of those question you won't find the answer in any book.

From Wikipedia: it is impossible for two electrons of a poly-electron atom to have the same values of the four quantum numbers (n, ℓ, mℓ and ms).

But how can an electron know the state (the quantum numbers) of the other electrons, that is, which states are already occupied and consequently occupy an available state?
Or, vice versa, it's the atom that "tells" (how?) the electron the states that are free and that it can occupy?

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, I've just noticed the error in the title. It was too long and I had to cut it, but I made a mistake.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Wolf said:
But how can an electron know the state (the quantum numbers) of the other electrons, that is, which states are already occupied and consequently occupy an available state?
That's why it's called principle as it cannot be proven, it's just the way how fermions behave.

Likes Mr Wolf
Thanks for your answer. I was just thinking about a similar answer, that is: it's a principle and that's all.

By the way the shell model of atom is actually based on the independent particle approximation, which means the labeling with four quantum numbers ##(n,l,m_l,m_s)## of each electron is also an approximation. The reason is that the single particle orbital angular momentum operator does not commute with the Hamiltonian, hence the numbers ##(n,l,m_l,m_s)## are not really good quantum numbers for many electron atoms. The actual good quantum numbers are found by finding observables that commute with the Hamiltonian and there should be 4N of such observables (and hence good quantum numbers) with N the number of electrons.

Likes Mr Wolf
Mr Wolf said:
This is one of those question you won't find the answer in any book.

From Wikipedia: it is impossible for two electrons of a poly-electron atom to have the same values of the four quantum numbers (n, ℓ, mℓ and ms).

Or, vice versa, it's the atom that "tells" (how?) the electron the states that are free and that it can occupy?

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, I've just noticed the error in the title. It was too long and I had to cut it, but I made a mistake.

The electrons don't "know" each others state. They are both excitations of the electron field, which cannot be in a state which doesn't obey the PEP.

Try this for a start:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_field_theory

Likes Mr Wolf
Thanks for your answers.

I studied many of these things some years ago. So, perhaps I was too naive to look for a simple answer. :rolleyes:

Mr Wolf said:
So, perhaps I was too naive to look for a simple answer. :rolleyes:

There is no simple answer.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Mr Wolf
I know. That's why I dropped Physics. But, sometimes, old memories come to my mind.

Mr Wolf said:
I know. That's why I dropped Physics. But, sometimes, old memories come to my mind.

Perseverance counts for a lot :-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p

Thanks
Bill

Likes Mr Wolf
Yeah, but it's the Math behind that discourages ...and too much Maths burns out the brain.o0)

Ok, later I'll open another thread. I'll try not to be too naive.

1. What is the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This means that two electrons cannot have the same set of quantum numbers (such as energy level, spin, and orbital) in an atom.

2. How does the Pauli Exclusion Principle affect electron configurations?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle plays a crucial role in determining the electron configurations of atoms. It dictates that electrons must occupy different energy levels and orbitals, resulting in the familiar electron configurations seen in the periodic table.

3. How does the Pauli Exclusion Principle explain the stability of matter?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle is responsible for the stability of matter because it prevents electrons from occupying the same quantum state, which would result in an unstable and collapsed atom. This principle also explains why matter cannot be compressed beyond a certain point, as the electrons would reach their maximum energy levels and resist further compression.

4. How do electrons "know" their state according to the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle is not a physical force that causes electrons to "know" their state. Rather, it is a fundamental property of particles with half-integer spin. Electrons simply follow this principle as a result of their quantum nature, which is described by the laws of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

While the Pauli Exclusion Principle holds true for most cases, there are a few exceptions. For example, in certain high-energy environments, such as in the core of a star, electrons can overcome the repulsive force of the principle and occupy the same energy level. Additionally, some particles called bosons (with integer spin) are not subject to this principle and can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously.