Pauli Villars for Quadratic Divergences

In summary, Pauli-Villars regularization is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to remove infinities that arise from loop diagrams containing quadratic divergences. It involves introducing a set of fictitious particles, called Pauli-Villars fields, with opposite charges and masses to cancel out the divergences. This method is necessary as quadratic divergences make the results of calculations meaningless and need to be removed in order to make meaningful predictions. Pauli-Villars regularization works by splitting the original integral into two parts, with one part containing the original fields and the other containing the Pauli-Villars fields, which are then integrated out to leave behind a finite result. Some advantages of using this method include its systematic approach
Diracobama2181
TL;DR Summary
How would I do Pauli Villars Regularization for an integral of the form

$\frac{\int d^4k}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{k^2}{(k^2-m^2+i\epsilon)^2}$
My guess would be to do an integral of the form

$$\frac{\int d^4k}{(2\pi)^4}k^2(\frac{1}{(k^2-m^2+i\epsilon)}-\frac{1}{k^2-\Lambda_1^2+i\epsilon})(\frac{1}{(k^2-m^2+i\epsilon)}-\frac{1}{k^2-\Lambda_2^2+i\epsilon})$$

before Wick otating and integrating. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks promising. What's your specific question? I never liked Pauli-Villars regularization much, because it's pretty complicated compared to dimensional regularization ;-)).

Likes Diracobama2181
Just wanted to check if I was on the right path. Thanks!

1. What is Pauli-Villars regularization?

Pauli-Villars regularization is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to remove divergences in calculations involving quadratic terms. It involves introducing additional fields, known as Pauli-Villars fields, which have opposite statistics to the original fields and cancel out the divergences.

2. Why is Pauli-Villars regularization used?

Pauli-Villars regularization is used to remove divergences in calculations involving quadratic terms, which can arise in quantum field theory. These divergences can lead to nonsensical results and need to be removed in order to make meaningful predictions.

3. How does Pauli-Villars regularization work?

Pauli-Villars regularization works by introducing additional fields with opposite statistics to the original fields. These fields interact with the original fields in such a way that the divergences cancel out, resulting in a finite and well-behaved calculation.

4. What are the limitations of Pauli-Villars regularization?

One limitation of Pauli-Villars regularization is that it can only be used for calculations involving quadratic divergences. It is also a somewhat ad-hoc technique and may not always provide physically meaningful results.

5. Are there alternative methods to Pauli-Villars regularization?

Yes, there are alternative methods to Pauli-Villars regularization, such as dimensional regularization and zeta-function regularization. These methods also aim to remove divergences in quantum field theory calculations, but they use different mathematical techniques.