Pavement Painting: Seeking Advice on DIY Mix

• Thread starter Silex7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diy
In summary, the people in this district in Egypt are planning to clean the streets and do some paints to the pavement. They are trying to prepare an easy ''home made'' chemical mix, but they need to know what chemical contents they can get to do this job. They are looking for a white and black paint, but they are worried about the paint's water resistance. They are also looking for a solvent that will evaporate relatively quickly. They might need to add a small amount of a slower evaporating solvent, like Texanol, to the paint mix. They might also need to add a UV stabilizer. If the acrylic resin they choose is too brittle, they might want to add a bit of rubber latex. Thanks for your help
Silex7
Pavement paint, pleasezz help

Hello Guys,

well, we -people here in my district in Egypt- are planning to clean the districts and doing some paints to the pavements in streets in order to relief their colors and paints, we are trying to prepare an easy ''home made'' chemical mix in order to paint the pavement( black and white) but i need to know what chemical contents I can get in order to do this job? ..i know about limestone paint, but it is not a good water resistant..any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance,

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Use titanium oxide in a latex rubber or acrylic binder for the white. Substitute carbon black for the titanium oxide in the black paint. Small glass beads put on top of the wet paint will make it reflective at night. I would ask someone at BASF for an application using one of their acrylic latexes. They might even give you a starting formula for your needs. You want a solvent that will evaporate relatively quickly, like methanol, or you will get shiny, slick paints. You will need to mix in some very fine sand (if you can find any :) ) to counteract the slickness. You might find that you need to add a small amount of a slower evaporating solvent like Texanol (2,2,4-trimethyl-1,3-pentanediol monoisobutyrate) to act as a coalescing agent for the latex. Texanol is the "go to" solvent in this regard for latexes. I'd also add a UV stabilizer as well unless I was adding crazy amounts of sand or titania. If you need to control sag (the tendency of the paint to spread before it "sets"), I would add Cab-O-Sil. There is a variety that has a silane coating that mixes well with polymers and one that isn't. I wouldn't use the silane coated one if the latex is largely water-based. If the acrylic resin you choose is too brittle you might want to add a bit of rubber latex that is compatible. I would look at the KRATOX line of rubber latex products.

Formulating paints is tough. Street paints are particularly so. It's going to be a real project. Good luck!

Thanks for your precious help my friend, awesome as usual chemisttree :)

Titanium oxide is a good idea (as the white colour now is our big issue), but it is a little bet expensive also carcinogenic, but i will look forward trying this one.
I just contacted BASF Eg. and i am waiting for their response (hopefully).

thanks for the glass beads idea didnt know about this :)
i think ''Butanol'' would do the job as the Texanol, right?

i will write down the sugested additions you wrote but let me remind you, it all depends-unfortunately- on what is available and what is not!

Thanks really for your help, I really appreciate it.

Related to Pavement Painting: Seeking Advice on DIY Mix

1. What materials do I need for DIY pavement painting?

To create your own pavement paint, you will need acrylic or latex paint, water, a stirring stick, and a paint brush or roller. You may also want to have stencils or tape for creating designs.

2. What is the best ratio of paint to water for pavement painting?

The ideal ratio of paint to water will depend on the type of paint you are using and the desired consistency. As a general rule, start with a 1:1 ratio and adjust as needed until you reach your desired thickness.

3. How do I prepare the pavement before painting?

The pavement surface should be clean and free of debris before painting. Sweep or wash away any dirt or debris, and make sure the surface is completely dry before painting. You may also want to use a degreaser if there are any oil or grease stains present.

4. Can I add color to my pavement paint?

Yes, you can add color to your pavement paint by mixing in acrylic or latex paint. Keep in mind that the color may appear lighter when applied to the pavement, so it is best to test a small area first.

5. How long does DIY pavement paint typically last?

The longevity of DIY pavement paint will depend on several factors, such as the type of paint used, the weather conditions, and the amount of foot or vehicle traffic on the painted area. In general, it is recommended to repaint every 1-2 years to maintain a fresh and vibrant appearance.