PCB Designing for Beginners | Free Software Help

• Thread starter angelageorge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pcb
In summary: Thanks for the input!Yes, it is very common in the industry. Most companies will have DFM guidelines that are managed by the Manufacturing Engineering group.
angelageorge
Hey All,

I am glad to be a part of this Forum. I am brand new to PCB design and I am working on a project related to PCB designing and manufacturing. At present we have free software's available which helps in PCB designing. Can anyone suggest me which is the best software available for designing PCBs. Information on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
angelageorge said:
Hey All,

I am glad to be a part of this Forum. I am brand new to PCB design and I am working on a project related to PCB designing and manufacturing. At present we have free software's available which helps in PCB designing. Can anyone suggest me which is the best software available for designing PCBs. Information on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Eagle is a popular introductory package. What software are you using for the schematic capture? It's best if the PCB layout software is coupled with the [STRIKE]PCB layout[/STRIKE] schematic capture software. Is the circuit digital, analog, or mixed-signal?

Last edited:
My preference:
Pads PCB & Power Logic where cost is not a major consideration.
DipTrace where cost is a major consideration. (DipTrace is also easier to use than Pads for simpler PCB's)

Eagle's GUI nearly drove me to suicide. However it is the only free, full-service program that I could find. Even though it costs a bit more to produce and has other limitations, for small boards and proto-type quantities I skurried back to http://www.expresspcb.com/ with my tail between my legs. Their free software is blindingly simple (in comparison to Eagle), but it has no auto-routing (which I found useless in Eagle anyway, but didn't really try to use) and ties you into using their production facility and prices.

schip666! said:
Eagle's GUI nearly drove me to suicide. However it is the only free, full-service program that I could find.

Yeah, I guess I should have qualified my post by saying that I only used Eagle to view a schematic that I was working with (from another designer outside my company). I haven't used their tools, but could believe that they are hard to work with.

I've found Eagle to produce suicidal tendencies as well. I'm currently using Ultiboard in conjunction with Multisim and have a good amount of success. Its very intuitive to use but lacks in the library department. Fortunately parts are very easy to make and use spice models for simulation. There's lots of good programs out there though. Proteus is popular along with OrCad and Altium Designer. I would recommend just downloading the evaluation versions and seeing which one feels best and is in your price range.
berkeman said:
It's best if the PCB layout software is coupled with the PCB layout software.

:confused:
Uhhh...?

Topher925 said:
:confused:
Uhhh...?

Oopsies -- fixing that now. Thanks Topher.

For layout, I use http://freepcb.com/" .

Otto

Last edited by a moderator:
DFM Methodology

Thank you so much for your replies. It was really helpful. Recently I came across few articles on web regarding DFM (Design for Manufacturability) methodology which helps designers incorporate manufacturing knowledge during the initial design process, preventing design errors early in the design process and reducing the need for costly corrections later. Also one of my friends suggested me that we have free DFM software’s offered by few PCB manufacturers which is of great help to PCB designers. Ever heard of DFM methodology? Thanks much!

angelageorge said:
Thank you so much for your replies. It was really helpful. Recently I came across few articles on web regarding DFM (Design for Manufacturability) methodology which helps designers incorporate manufacturing knowledge during the initial design process, preventing design errors early in the design process and reducing the need for costly corrections later. Also one of my friends suggested me that we have free DFM software’s offered by few PCB manufacturers which is of great help to PCB designers. Ever heard of DFM methodology? Thanks much!

Yes, it is very common in the industry. Most companies will have DFM guidelines that are managed by the Manufacturing Engineering group. And Contract Manufacturers will have their own DFM binders that you can use in your design that they will be building for you.

Related to PCB Designing for Beginners | Free Software Help

1. What is PCB designing and why is it important?

PCB (Printed Circuit Board) designing is the process of creating a layout for electronic components and their connections on a board. It is important because it allows for efficient and organized placement of components, reduces the risk of errors and short circuits, and ensures optimal performance of the circuit.

2. What are the basic components needed for PCB designing?

The basic components needed for PCB designing include a software for creating the layout, a computer, a printer, a copper-clad board, etching solution, and a UV lamp for transferring the design onto the board.

3. What are some free software options for beginners to use for PCB designing?

Some popular free software options for beginners include Eagle PCB, KiCad, and EasyEDA. These software have user-friendly interfaces and tutorials to help beginners get started with PCB designing.

4. What are some common mistakes beginners make in PCB designing?

Some common mistakes made by beginners in PCB designing include incorrect placement of components, not following design guidelines and standards, using incorrect trace widths or spacing, and not checking for design errors before production.

5. How can I learn more about PCB designing as a beginner?

As a beginner, you can learn more about PCB designing through online tutorials, forums, and communities. You can also take courses or workshops to gain hands-on experience and learn from experienced designers. It is also important to practice and familiarize yourself with the software and design guidelines to improve your skills.