PDE: Solving to find a constant c

In summary, the conversation discusses a nonlinear differential equation and its solutions. The first part shows that u_1(x) = e^x/(1+e^x) and u_2(x) = 1 are solutions. The second part shows that u_1+u_2 is not a solution. The third part involves finding values of c for which cu_1 and cu_2 are solutions. It is found that c=0 or c=1 for both cases.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider the nonlinear (ordinary) differential equation u' = u(1-u).
a) Show that u_1 (x) = e^x/(1+e^x) and u_2(x) = 1 are solutions.
b) Show that u_1+u_2 is not a solution.
c) For which values of c is cu_1 a solution? How about cu_2 ?

Homework Equations

N/a

The Attempt at a Solution

a) To show that they are a solution I plugged in the corresponding u_1 and u_2 into the equations and proved equality.
b) To show that this is not a solution, I did the same.
c) This is where I am having trouble, here is my strategy:

We observe c*u_2 first.
we know u_2' = 0 so from u'=u(1-u)
we have c*u' = 0 and we know that 1*c = c so on the right hand side we have c(1-c) and so we have:
c-c^2 =0
This means c is either 0 or 1.

This doesn't seem right, there seems to be a better way (perhaps involving differential equations knowledge) to solve for c. I would imagine c could be in the form e^x of some sort.

Similarly with c*u_1 I am finding equally difficult problems where c = 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute in the proposed solution.

Apply all the operations and simplify.

See if you can find a value of C for which the resulting equation is true.

So, when I solved for part c for u_2 and found that c=c^2
This means that c = 0 or 1.
That would be a correct solution then?

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is an equation that involves partial derivatives of a multivariable function. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is it important to solve for a constant c in a PDE?

The constant c represents the general solution to the PDE, which is necessary for finding specific solutions that satisfy given initial or boundary conditions. Solving for c allows us to fully understand the behavior of the system described by the PDE.

3. How do you solve for c in a PDE?

To solve for c, we can use different methods such as separation of variables, method of characteristics, or Fourier transforms, depending on the type of PDE and its boundary conditions. These methods involve manipulating the PDE algebraically and using given initial or boundary conditions to determine the constant c.

4. What is the role of c in the solution of a PDE?

C is a constant that appears in the general solution of a PDE and represents the arbitrary parameters of the solution. It determines the specific solutions that satisfy given initial or boundary conditions, and it can also provide insight into the behavior of the system described by the PDE.

5. Can the value of c in a PDE solution change?

Yes, the value of c can change depending on the given initial or boundary conditions. It can also change if we are solving for different variables or parameters in the PDE. However, the general form of the solution remains the same, with c representing the arbitrary parameters.