Pdflatex "file not found" texlive

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter XATJEFFMK64
  • Start date
In summary, The individual is struggling with converting a tex document to pdf using TexLive. They have tried using the pdflatex command, but are receiving an error message that the file cannot be found. They are looking for a clear and concise explanation on how to properly write the parameters and convert their documents to pdf for uploading on their website. They are also advised to enclose the file name in quotes to indicate that it is a single entity.
XATJEFFMK64
Hello, I'm sorry to burden you with this question it's probably been asked a thousand times, but no matter where I look on the net I can't find a solution.

I have texlive, I wrote the tex document, and saved it, I tried running the tex command line and using pdflatex command but it keeps saying it can't find the file, how exactly do I write the parameters? I've tried

pdflattex Tutorial One.tex

-> file not found

pdflattex c:\Windows\Users\XATJEFFMK64\Desktop\Projects\Tuto rial one.tex

-> file not found.

I just want to write tex documents and turn them into pdf's so I can upload tutorials onto my website, can someone give me a very clear and concise way of doing this?
frown.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really familiar with the TexLive (I use TeXWorks), but have you tried compiling your .tex document?

I think the problem is the blank space as part of the name...you need to enclose the entire name into (single or double) quotes two indicate that the two separate strings actually are a single entity, value.

Related to Pdflatex "file not found" texlive

Question 1: Why am I getting a "file not found" error when using Pdflatex in Texlive?

The most common reason for this error is that the file you are trying to compile does not exist or is not in the correct directory. Make sure the file you are trying to compile is saved in the same directory as your Pdflatex file or use the appropriate command to specify the file's location.

Question 2: How do I fix the "file not found" error when using Pdflatex in Texlive?

If the file is in the correct location and you are still getting the error, try refreshing the file name database. This can be done by using the command texhash in your terminal or by using the "Refresh FNDB" option in your Texlive editor. If this does not work, make sure your Texlive installation is up to date and that all necessary packages are installed.

Question 3: Can I use Pdflatex in Texlive to compile files with non-standard file extensions?

Yes, you can use Pdflatex to compile files with non-standard file extensions. However, you may need to specify the file type using the -file-type option in your command. For example, if you are compiling a file with the extension .tex, you would use the command pdflatex -file-type=tex filename.

Question 4: Why am I getting a "permission denied" error when trying to compile with Pdflatex in Texlive?

This error occurs when the user does not have the necessary permissions to access the file or directory. Make sure you have the correct permissions set for the file or directory you are trying to compile in. If you are still getting the error, try using the command sudo pdflatex filename to run Pdflatex with elevated permissions.

Question 5: Is there a way to troubleshoot other errors that may occur when using Pdflatex in Texlive?

Yes, there are several resources available for troubleshooting Pdflatex errors in Texlive. You can refer to the Texlive documentation, online forums, or seek help from other Texlive users. Additionally, you can try using the -interaction=errorstopmode option in your command to pause the compilation process and display any errors that may occur.