Solving a system of an arbitrary number of ODEs, at steady-state

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a system of an arbitrary number of ordinary differential equations that describes a model at steady-state. The goal is to solve the resulting algebraic system and obtain an analytical expression for $S_T$ in terms of $\alpha$. The system is nonlinear and it may not be possible to find an explicit expression for $S_{i+1}$. Therefore, using numerical methods to solve the system and obtain values for $S_T$ may be a more feasible approach.
kalish1
I have constructed a system of an arbitrary number of ordinary differential equations that describes my model at steady-state. There are ($i+1$) ODEs, with $i$ arbitrary.

Goal: I want to solve the resulting algebraic system (all equations set to $0$) and obtain an analytical expression that captures the dependence of $S_T = \sum\limits_{j=1}^{i+1} S_j$ on $\alpha$.

______

Here is the system:

$$ Q-\left(\dfrac{\alpha}{X} + r_1\right)S_1+\dfrac{\beta}{Y}\sum\limits_{j=2}^{i+1} S_j = 0 \\
\dfrac{\alpha}{X}(S_1-S_i)-\left(\dfrac{\beta}{Y}+r_1\right)\sum\limits_{j=2}^{i} S_j = 0 \\
\dfrac{\alpha}{X}S_i-\left(\dfrac{\beta}{Y}+\sigma r_1 \right)S_{i+1} = 0
$$

The first equation is the ODE for $S_1$, the last is for $S_{i+1}$, and the middle is for $S_2$ to $S_{i}$. I know beforehand that the parameters $Q, \alpha, X, r_1, \beta, Y$ and all $S_j$'s are positive real numbers and $\sigma > 1.$

____
Work in progress:
Note that $$\frac{d}{dt}S_T = \frac{d}{dt} \left(\sum\limits_{j=1}^{i+1}S_j\right) = Q - r_1 \sum\limits_{j=1}^{i} S_i - \sigma r_1 S_{i+1} = Q - r_1 S_T + r_1 (1-\sigma) S_{i+1},$$ implying that $$S_T = \frac{Q}{r_1} + (1-\sigma)S_{i+1} - \frac{1}{r_1} \dot{S}_T.$$

Now notice that upon solving for $S_1$ in the first and second ODE equations respectively, we obtain:

$$S_1 = \dfrac{X}{Y(X r_1 + \alpha)}\left(QY + \beta \sum\limits_{j=2}^{i+1}S_j\right)$$

and

$$S_1 = \dfrac{X(\beta+Y r_1)}{\alpha Y} \sum\limits_{j=2}^{i} S_j + S_i.$$

Question: How can I find $S_{i+1}$ explicitly so that I can (hopefully) solve the linear ODE for $S_T$?

Thanks in advance for help.

This question has been crossposted here: http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1537553/solving-a-system-of-an-arbitrary-number-of-odes-at-steady-state

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your progress and your question. It seems like you are on the right track in your approach to solving this system of ODEs. However, finding an explicit expression for $S_{i+1}$ may not be possible in this case. This is because the system is nonlinear and it may not be possible to find an analytical solution for $S_{i+1}$.

In this case, it may be more useful to use numerical methods to solve the system. You can use a numerical solver to solve the system of ODEs and obtain values for $S_1$ to $S_{i+1}$ at steady state. From there, you can use these values to calculate $S_T$ and see how it depends on $\alpha$. This approach may be more feasible and accurate compared to trying to find an explicit expression for $S_{i+1}$.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your research!

1. How do you solve a system of ODEs at steady-state?

To solve a system of ODEs at steady-state, you need to find the values of the dependent variables (usually denoted as y) that do not change with time. This means that the derivatives of the dependent variables are equal to zero. The steady-state solutions can be found by setting the derivatives of all dependent variables to zero and solving the resulting algebraic equations.

2. What is the importance of solving a system of ODEs at steady-state?

Solving a system of ODEs at steady-state is important because it helps us understand the long-term behavior of a dynamic system. It allows us to determine the equilibrium points of the system and analyze its stability. This information is crucial in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, biology, and economics.

3. Can a system of ODEs have multiple steady-state solutions?

Yes, a system of ODEs can have multiple steady-state solutions. This means that there can be more than one set of values for the dependent variables that satisfy the condition of zero derivatives. In such cases, the system is said to have multiple equilibrium points, and the stability of each point must be analyzed separately.

4. What are the methods for solving a system of ODEs at steady-state?

There are several methods for solving a system of ODEs at steady-state, including analytical methods such as substitution and elimination, and numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the system and the precision required for the solution.

5. Can a system of ODEs be solved at steady-state if there are external inputs?

Yes, a system of ODEs can still be solved at steady-state even if there are external inputs. In this case, the steady-state solutions will depend not only on the system's internal dynamics but also on the external inputs. The external inputs can be incorporated into the equations and solved simultaneously with the system of ODEs to find the steady-state solutions.