Pendulum SHO but with extra downward acceleration of the pivot

In summary, the conversation discusses the intuitive understanding of a problem involving a pendulum in an accelerating elevator. The concept of acceleration relative to the lift is mentioned, as well as the effect this has on the period of the pendulum. The conversation also brings up the question of why a pendulum would swing in free fall and provides links to further resources for understanding. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the importance of considering all acceleration vectors when analyzing the motion of an object.
simphys
Homework Statement
A pendulum is hanging fromt he ceiling of an elevator. Its period (at small angles) is T sec when the elevator is at rest. We now accelerate the elevator downward w/ 5m/s^2. What is the period now? Be quantitative. [g = 10m/s^2]
Relevant Equations
##T = 2*/pi * sqrt(l / g)##
Hey guys,
Can someone help me understand how to understand this problem intuitively please?
How I understand is that I need to look the acceleration relative to the lift as if it were f.e. on another planet with a different acceleration. this gives me a = g - 5.
But then again if I didn't look up the solution I would not have been able to solve it. So.. I don't really understand this intuitively. I actually thought (before looking at the solution) that it stays the same period T as it is dependent on the gravitational acceleration.
This kind of confuses me, and leaves me feeling that I don't really understand what what the g means in the equation.Thanks in advance.
1691405181213.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the extreme fall case, free fall. Why would the pendulum swing at all?

Likes erobz
simphys said:
... I don't really understand this intuitively. I actually thought (before looking at the solution) that it stays the same period T as it is dependent on the gravitational acceleration.
This kind of confuses me, and leaves me feeling that I don't really understand what the g means in the equation.
Please, see:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pendp.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pend.html#c3

For a simple common pendulum, gravity is the only acceleration that gets combined with its mass to produce a restoring force.
Our elevator introduces another acceleration, which vector is aligned with the gravity acceleration vector.

Therefore, a summation of those vectors would result in an increased or decreased net acceleration acting on the center of mass of our pendulum.

If the elevator is accelerating the pendulum upwards, it should be "feeling" heavier, just like you do when riding one of those, and vice-verse.

In one case, both acceleration vectors point in the same direction (vectors addition applies).
In the other case, they point in opposite directions (vectors subtraction applies).

Likes simphys

1. What is a pendulum SHO with extra downward acceleration of the pivot?

A pendulum SHO (Simple Harmonic Oscillator) with extra downward acceleration of the pivot is a type of pendulum that experiences an additional force pulling it towards the ground, causing it to move in a non-uniform manner.

2. How does the extra downward acceleration affect the motion of the pendulum?

The extra downward acceleration causes the pendulum to move in a more complex manner, deviating from the typical simple harmonic motion. It may result in a shorter period or a change in amplitude of the pendulum's swing.

3. What factors contribute to the extra downward acceleration of the pivot?

The extra downward acceleration can be caused by various factors such as the weight of the pendulum, air resistance, or friction at the pivot point. It can also be intentionally introduced by applying an external force to the pendulum.

4. How does the extra downward acceleration affect the period of the pendulum?

The extra downward acceleration can cause the period of the pendulum to decrease or increase, depending on the magnitude and direction of the acceleration. This is because it changes the equilibrium position of the pendulum and alters the restoring force acting on it.

5. What are some practical applications of a pendulum SHO with extra downward acceleration?

A pendulum SHO with extra downward acceleration can be used in various scientific experiments to study the effects of different forces on the motion of a pendulum. It can also be used in engineering to design and test structures that can withstand varying levels of acceleration and forces.