Pendulumn Problem (did i do this correctly?)

• Thread starter Lori
  • Start date
Very good. The string makes a ## 30^o, 60^o, 90^o ## triangle if you draw one vertical line down the middle, and the hypotenuse is along the string that is pulled ## 30^o ## from center. The first length you need to compute is how far down the string is (from the point where the pendulum swings from), if you go straight across horizontally to the middle of the pendulum when the pendulum is ## 30^o ## from the center. It would be easier if we had a diagram...I'm hoping you get the answer that the vertical length is ## L \cos(30^o) ##.
Lori

Homework Statement

find the speed of the object as it goes through the lowest point on its trajectory given that a pendulum is made by letting a 2.0 kg object swing at the eng of a string of length 1.5

Homework Equations

h= mg(L-Lcostheta)
mgh = .5mv^2
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

mgh = .5mv^2 (conservation of energy)[/B]
(2)(9.81)(0.20096) = .5(2)v^2
solve for v, v = 1.98 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement of the problem is incomplete. Information is needed on how far the pendulum swings (in angle ## \theta ##). Presumably the length ## L=1.5 ## m.

Charles Link said:
The statement of the problem is incomplete. Information is needed on how far the pendulum swings (in angle ## \theta ##). Presumably the length ## L=1.5 ## m.
Oops! I left out the angle. It says 30degrees is the max angle that string makes

Can you compute how high up (##h ##) that the pendulum is at ## \theta=30^o ##, compared to when ## \theta=0^o ## and ## h=0 ##? ## \\ ## Note:The equation that you supplied for ## h=mg (L-L \cos(\theta)) ## has an ## mg ## that doesn't belong in the equation. Meanwhile, if you draw a good diagram, you should be able to compute ## h ## without using a formula.

Charles Link said:
Can you compute how high up (##h ##) that the pendulum is at ## \theta=30^o ##, compared to when ## \theta=0^o ## and ## h=0 ##? ## \\ ## Note:The equation that you supplied for ## h=mg (L-L \cos(\theta)) ## has an ## mg ## that doesn't belong in the equation. Meanwhile, if you draw a good diagram, you should be able to compute ## h ## without using a formula.
I didn't really use that formula. I just figured it out that it i needed to find the height to calculate mgh. I've drawn the picture but it is difficult to post on here~ I think i know what you mean though! I think i mean to say that i calculated mgh and found h by L-Lcostheta. Sorry for the confusion!

Very good. The string makes a ## 30^o, 60^o, 90^o ## triangle if you draw one vertical line down the middle, and the hypotenuse is along the string that is pulled ## 30^o ## from center. The first length you need to compute is how far down the string is (from the point where the pendulum swings from), if you go straight across horizontally to the middle of the pendulum when the pendulum is ## 30^o ## from the center. It would be easier if we had a diagram...I'm hoping you get the answer that the vertical length is ## L \cos(30^o) ##.

Last edited:
Likes Lori

1. What is the Pendulum Problem?

The Pendulum Problem is a physics problem that involves the motion of a pendulum. A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that is free to swing back and forth. The Pendulum Problem specifically refers to determining the motion of a pendulum and understanding the factors that affect its motion.

2. How do you solve the Pendulum Problem?

To solve the Pendulum Problem, you need to use the equation of motion for a pendulum, which takes into account the length of the pendulum, the acceleration due to gravity, and the initial conditions. This equation can then be solved using calculus or numerical methods to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the pendulum at any given time.

3. What factors affect the motion of a pendulum?

The motion of a pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, the angle at which it is released, and the presence of air resistance. These factors can change the period, amplitude, and frequency of the pendulum's swing.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect its motion?

The length of the pendulum affects its motion because it determines the period of the pendulum. The longer the pendulum, the longer it takes to complete one full swing. This means that a longer pendulum will have a longer period and a slower swing, while a shorter pendulum will have a shorter period and a faster swing.

5. Can the Pendulum Problem be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the Pendulum Problem has many real-world applications. For example, pendulums are used in the design of clocks and other timekeeping devices, as well as in seismometers to measure earthquakes. They are also used in amusement park rides and as a model for the motion of a swinging crane. Understanding the Pendulum Problem can also help in the design of other systems that involve oscillating motion.