Elastic collision problem (μk) is the target variable

In summary: But it is easier to just use conservation of momentum and conservation of energy as I did.I'm not sure what you mean by the "attempt at a solution" part, but it looks like you are trying to use energy conservation to solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction. That will not work because energy is not conserved in the direction of motion. If you try to use energy conservation in the direction perpendicular to the motion, you will not be able to solve for the coefficient of friction because the normal force will be different at different points during the sliding.(μk) = (2gh - v^2)/(2g)(d)In summary, two small objects A and B, each with mass m, are involved in an elastic collision
PedroPicapiedra

Homework Statement

Two certain small objects A and B, each have mass m. A is suspended using a lightweight, inelastic string, and B is placed on a rough horizontal floor in a position where it is in contact with the vertically suspended A. Next, A is raised to height h above its original position while the string is kept taut, and then is gently released. A collides elastically with B, which then slides along the floor distance d before coming to a rest
20180601_122238.png

Homework Equations

(mA)(vA1)+(mB)(vB1) = (mA)(vA2)+(mA)(vA2)
K1 + U1 + W other = K2 + U2

The Attempt at a Solution

To my understanding, in collision problems the momentum is always conserved. However, energy is not necessarily conserved.
So I used the momentum equation and and inserted the variables. Since object B is at rest before the collision, and object A is at rest after the collision; I got rid of (mB)(vB1) and (mA)(vA2).
Therefore:
(mA)(vA1) = (mB)(vB2) since both masses are equal I got that both velocities are equal.
(vA1) = (vB2)

Then I use the energy equation where

K1 = 0
U1 = mgh
W other = (Ff)(d) = (μk)(n) = (μk)(-mg)
K2 = 1/2mv^2
U2 = 0

Thus
mgh - (μk)(mg)(d) = 1/2mv^2
gh - (μk)(g)(d) = 1/2v^2
h - (μk)(d) = (v^2)/(2g)
(μk) = (2gh - v^2)/(2g)(d)

I don' really know where I went wrong. But I think my energy equation is wrong.

The answer is supposed to be h/d.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20180601_122238.png
    20180601_122238.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 889
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that A is at rest after the collision. Also, energy is conserved except that energy is lost as B slides along the floor (that energy goes into heat). Write an expression for the total energy just before A is released and another expression for the total energy right after the collision. Then relate the energy lost due to friction to the distance B slides.

PedroPicapiedra said:

Homework Statement

Two certain small objects A and B, each have mass m. A is suspended using a lightweight, inelastic string, and B is placed on a rough horizontal floor in a position where it is in contact with the vertically suspended A. Next, A is raised to height h above its original position while the string is kept taut, and then is gently released. A collides elastically with B, which then slides along the floor distance d before coming to a rest
View attachment 226460

Homework Equations

(mA)(vA1)+(mB)(vB1) = (mA)(vA2)+(mA)(vA2)
K1 + U1 + W other = K2 + U2

The Attempt at a Solution

To my understanding, in collision problems the momentum is always conserved. However, energy is not necessarily conserved.
So I used the momentum equation and and inserted the variables. Since object B is at rest before the collision, and object A is at rest after the collision; I got rid of (mB)(vB1) and (mA)(vA2).
Therefore:
(mA)(vA1) = (mB)(vB2) since both masses are equal I got that both velocities are equal.
(vA1) = (vB2)

Then I use the energy equation where

K1 = 0
U1 = mgh
W other = (Ff)(d) = (μk)(n) = (μk)(-mg)
K2 = 1/2mv^2
U2 = 0

Thus
mgh - (μk)(mg)(d) = 1/2mv^2
gh - (μk)(g)(d) = 1/2v^2
h - (μk)(d) = (v^2)/(2g)
(μk) = (2gh - v^2)/(2g)(d)

I don' really know where I went wrong. But I think my energy equation is wrong.

The answer is supposed to be h/d.

Thank you.
The problem states that the collision is elastic. That means that no energy is lost in the collision, so energy is conserved.
The mass A is not necessarily at rest after the collision, but you can use conservation of energy and conservation of momentum to figure out what its velocity is. In this case, your two wrong assumptions canceled out and you got the right answer anyway. All of A's momentum is transferred to B. That will not happen if the two masses are different or if collision is not head on.

I don't understand what "W other" means, or how you are trying to use it in an energy equation. Energy is lost to friction as B slides to a stop, so you could equate the work the block does against friction to its initial kinetic energy and solve for d.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where no kinetic energy is lost. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. What is the target variable in the elastic collision problem (μk)?

The target variable in the elastic collision problem is the coefficient of kinetic friction (μk). This variable represents the amount of friction between the two objects during the collision and is used to calculate the final velocities of the objects after the collision.

3. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction (μk) determined in an elastic collision?

The coefficient of kinetic friction (μk) is determined by conducting experiments and measuring the force of friction between the two objects during the collision. It is a dimensionless quantity and can vary depending on the materials and surfaces involved in the collision.

4. What other variables are involved in the calculation of an elastic collision?

In addition to the coefficient of kinetic friction (μk), other variables involved in the calculation of an elastic collision include the masses and initial velocities of the objects, as well as the angles at which the objects collide.

5. What is the importance of understanding elastic collisions in scientific research?

Understanding and studying elastic collisions is important in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It allows scientists and engineers to predict and analyze the behavior of objects during collisions, which is crucial in designing and improving various technologies and systems.