Penetrating the Rectangular Potential Barrier, E < V0

In summary, the conversation is about a rectangular barrier with width a and height V0, where E < V0. The question is about the transmission ratio, T, and the relevant equations are T = C*C/A*A. The individual is attempting to solve the problem using Octave code and has provided their attempt at a solution. They are looking for help in identifying what they are missing in their solution compared to the known solution.
Chip

Homework Statement

Rectangular barrier of width a and height V0 with an E < V0. What is the transmission ratio, T?

Homework Equations

T = C*C/A*A
What am I missing in my attempted solution (variable name = TChip), which is different from the known solution (variable name = TSoln)?

The Attempt at a Solution

(shown in the Octave code below...note the actual solution has a negative concavity, whereas my solution has a positive concavity, but seems to be in the vicinity of the correct solution...this can be seen by running the Octave code).

%I wrote this to check my work thus far on solving the GIANT algebra problem of penetrating the rectangular barrier, where E < V0
clear;close;clc;
% setting some constants

hbar = 1.0545718*10^(-34);
m = 9.10938356 * 10^(-31);
a = 10^-20; %cab be purely arbitrary

V0 = 100; %cab be purely arbitrary
inc = 10;
E = inc:inc:(V0-inc);

%wavenumber formulas
k1 = (sqrt(2*m*E))/hbar;
k2 = (sqrt(2*m*(V0-E)))/hbar;

%this section contains the solution
TSoln = (1 + (((sinh(k2*a)).^2)./((4*E/V0).*(1-E/V0)))).^(-1)

%this section contains my work thus far

iVal = i*k2/k1;
BLABLA1 = ( 1 - ((1-iVal).*(e.^(-2*k2*a) )./(1+iVal) ) ) + iVal.* (1 + ((1-iVal).*(e.^(-2*k2*a) )./(1+iVal)));
BLABLA2 = ( 1 - ((1+iVal).*(e.^(2*k2*a) )./(1-iVal) ) ) - iVal.* (1 + ((1+iVal).*(e.^(2*k2*a) )./(1-iVal)));

C = (e.^(-i*k1*a)).* ((e.^(-k2*a)./ ( BLABLA1 ) ) + (e.^(k2*a)./ ( BLABLA2 )));
TChip = 4*(C.*conj(C))

plot (E, [TSoln;TChip]);[/B]

Last edited:
Well, maybe I just need to work side my side with someone on this. I just can't seem to get to the answer..

1. What is a rectangular potential barrier?

A rectangular potential barrier is a barrier in the shape of a rectangle that is used to model the behavior of particles in a confined space. It is typically used to study quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles at the atomic level.

2. What does it mean for E < V0 in the context of penetrating the rectangular potential barrier?

In this context, E represents the energy of the particle and V0 represents the height of the potential barrier. When E < V0, it means that the particle does not have enough energy to overcome the potential barrier and is likely to be reflected back.

3. How does a particle with E < V0 behave when encountering a rectangular potential barrier?

A particle with E < V0 will experience a phenomenon called quantum tunneling, where it has a small probability of penetrating the potential barrier and appearing on the other side. This is a unique behavior observed at the subatomic level.

4. Can a particle with E < V0 penetrate the rectangular potential barrier with 100% probability?

No, a particle with E < V0 will always have a non-zero probability of being reflected back when encountering a rectangular potential barrier. This is due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

5. How does the width and height of the rectangular potential barrier affect the behavior of particles with E < V0?

The width and height of the rectangular potential barrier can affect the probability of particles with E < V0 penetrating the barrier. A wider barrier or a higher barrier will result in a lower probability of tunneling and a higher probability of reflection.