Probability of penetrating a potential barrier

In summary, the probability for an electron to exit through the right barrier rather than the left in a system with potential barriers of heights V0 and 2V0 and widths 2a and a respectively is given by P_right = 16E/V0 * exp[-4a*sqrt(2m(V0-E))/hbar]. To find the range of energies for which this is more likely, one can solve the inequality P_right > P_left, which simplifies to a quadratic equation after cancelling 16E/V0. However, a simpler method could be to use a binomial expansion due to the condition E << V0.
EGN123

Homework Statement

The probability for a particle of energy E<<V0 to penetrate a potential barrier of height V0 and width d is approximately [tex]\frac{16E}{V_0}exp\left[\frac{-2d\sqrt{2m(V_0-E)}}{\hbar}\right][/tex].
An electron moves between two potential barriers of height V0 and 2v0 that are of widths 2a and a respectively . For what range of energies is it more likely to exit through the right barrier than through the left?

Homework Equations

Given in question.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]P_\text{left}=\frac{16E}{V_0}exp\left[\frac{-4a\sqrt{2m(V_0-E)}}{\hbar}\right][/tex]

[tex]P_\text{left}=\frac{16E}{2V_0}exp\left[\frac{-2a\sqrt{2m(2V_0-E)}}{\hbar}\right][/tex]

I have attempted to solve the inequality Pright>Pleft. Due to the two square roots I had to square the entire expression twice to obtain an expression without surds, leaving me to solve:
[tex]9E^2+\left(\frac{10\hbar^2}{4a^2}(\ln{2})^2-12V_0\right)E+4V_0^2-\frac{3\hbar^2}{a^2}(\ln{2})^2V_0>0[/tex]

I know I can solve this to find a range of energies, however I think there should be an easier way to solve it, since it is an exam question with limited time.

Physics news on Phys.org
EGN123 said:

Homework Statement

The probability for a particle of energy E<<V0 to penetrate a potential barrier of height V0 and width d is approximately [tex]\frac{16E}{V_0}exp\left[\frac{-2d\sqrt{2m(V_0-E)}}{\hbar}\right][/tex].
An electron moves between two potential barriers of height V0 and 2v0 that are of widths 2a and a respectively . For what range of energies is it more likely to exit through the right barrier than through the left?

Homework Equations

Given in question.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]P_\text{left}=\frac{16E}{V_0}exp\left[\frac{-4a\sqrt{2m(V_0-E)}}{\hbar}\right][/tex]

[tex]P_\text{left}=\frac{16E}{2V_0}exp\left[\frac{-2a\sqrt{2m(2V_0-E)}}{\hbar}\right][/tex]

I have attempted to solve the inequality Pright>Pleft. Due to the two square roots I had to square the entire expression twice to obtain an expression without surds, leaving me to solve:
[tex]9E^2+\left(\frac{10\hbar^2}{4a^2}(\ln{2})^2-12V_0\right)E+4V_0^2-\frac{3\hbar^2}{a^2}(\ln{2})^2V_0>0[/tex]

I know I can solve this to find a range of energies, however I think there should be an easier way to solve it, since it is an exam question with limited time.

Just looking at the maths - why not just cancel the ##\frac{16E}{V_0}## before you start?

PeroK said:
Just looking at the maths - why not just cancel the ##\frac{16E}{V_0}## before you start?
I did that as part of the maths which led to the final inequality, I just didnt show the steps as its just rearranging the original inequality.

EGN123 said:
I did that as part of the maths which led to the final inequality, I just didnt show the steps as its just rearranging the original inequality.

Yes, of course! The clue is ##E << V_0## I think. That suggests a binomial expansion to me.

PeroK said:
Yes, of course! The clue is ##E << V_0## I think. That suggests a binomial expansion to me.
I hadn't thought of that at all. I'll give it a try, thanks!

1. What is the probability of an object penetrating a potential barrier?

The probability of an object penetrating a potential barrier is dependent on several factors, including the energy of the object, the height and width of the barrier, and the shape of the barrier. This probability can be calculated using quantum mechanical principles and is typically represented by the transmission coefficient.

2. How does the energy of the object affect the probability of penetration?

The energy of the object plays a significant role in determining the probability of penetration. As the object's energy increases, the probability of penetration also increases. This is due to the fact that higher energy objects have a higher chance of overcoming the potential barrier and reaching the other side.

3. Can the shape of the barrier affect the probability of penetration?

Yes, the shape of the barrier can impact the probability of penetration. A smooth, gradual barrier is more easily penetrated than a sharp, steep barrier. This is because a gradual barrier allows for a smoother transition of the object's wave function, increasing the chances of it passing through the barrier.

4. Is there a maximum probability of penetration for a potential barrier?

No, there is no maximum probability of penetration for a potential barrier. However, as the energy of the object increases, the probability of penetration approaches 100%. This means that there is a higher chance of the object passing through the barrier, but it is not guaranteed.

5. How is the probability of penetration related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This uncertainty also applies to the probability of penetration, as it is impossible to determine with certainty whether an object will pass through a potential barrier or not. The probability of penetration is a measure of the likelihood of a particle's position and momentum being on the other side of the barrier, but it is not a guarantee.