Percentage difference problem

In summary: Also, please provide the question in your own words rather than simply copying and pasting from the source. This helps to ensure that the answer accurately reflects the question being asked. In summary, the question asks to calculate the percentage difference between two answers, with the first link providing a baseline value of 1.1m. The correct calculation would be to divide the difference between the two answers by the baseline value of 1.1m. However, the question is ambiguous and could be interpreted in different ways, leading to different answers.
tahmidbro
Homework Statement
My answer does not match with the ones in book
Relevant Equations
N/A

Attachments

• sdfsd.PNG
    sdfsd.PNG
    21.7 KB · Views: 101
  • sasd.PNG
    sasd.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 90
Physics news on Phys.org
If you read the question, you will find that you were asked to compare against 1.1, not against 1.2
the poorly quoted question said:
Compare your answer with the 1.1 m calculated in the...

Likes tahmidbro
tahmidbro said:
Homework Statement:: My answer does not match with the ones in book
Relevant Equations:: N/A

See the question : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...hmentid=978958

The mark scheme/answer : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...hmentid=978956

I have got the answer to the vertical height gained = 1.355 m. No problem.

But not the value of the percentage difference. Their value : 23%, my value =( (1.355-1.2 )/1.35) x 100% = 11.48%

Well, I suspect that they are multiplying %D by 2, but why?
Your first link says the calculated height is 1.1m, not 1.2m.
You are asked for the % difference relative to 1.1m, so you should divide (1.355 - 1.1) by 1.1

Now I understand. Thank you!

I have a minor quibble with the response given by @Steve4Physics. He points out quite correctly that if one is computing the percentage difference of 1.355 from 1.1 that one should divide the delta by 1.1.

However, the question at hand does not specify whether we should use the 1.1 or the 1.355 as the baseline.

the poorly quoted question said:
calculate the percentage difference between the two answers
There is nothing in that request that elevates either of the two answers to the status of baseline. One could argue for the correctness of any of three possible answers to this ambiguous question.

1. ##\frac{\text{high}-\text{low}}{\text{low}}##
2. ##\frac{\text{low}-\text{high}}{\text{high}}##
3. ##\frac{\text{high}-\text{low}}{\text{high}}##

Sorry for forgetting to upload the 'worked example' along with the question
My bad :-d

Attachments

• jfk.PNG
    jfk.PNG
    40 KB · Views: 86
jbriggs444 said:
There is nothing in that request that elevates either of the two answers to the status of baseline. One could argue for the correctness of any of three possible answers to this ambiguous question.
Agreed that the question isn't particularly well expressed, but the OP's first link explicitly says
"Compare your answer with the 1.1m calculated in the worked example..."
which implies 1.1m is the 'baseline'.

Likes jbriggs444
tahmidbro said:
Sorry for forgetting to upload the 'worked example' along with the question
My bad :-d
For future reference, it is much easier to quote sections of the problem if it is transcribed as text rather than attached as an image.

Likes tahmidbro

1. What is a percentage difference problem?

A percentage difference problem is a mathematical question that involves calculating the difference between two numbers as a percentage of one of the numbers. It is commonly used to compare two values or quantities and determine the percentage change between them.

2. How do you solve a percentage difference problem?

To solve a percentage difference problem, you first need to determine the difference between the two numbers. Then, divide the difference by one of the numbers and multiply by 100 to get the percentage. The formula is: (Difference / Original number) * 100 = Percentage difference.

3. What is the importance of solving percentage difference problems?

Solving percentage difference problems is important in many fields, such as finance, economics, and science. It allows for comparisons between two values and helps to understand the change or growth in a particular quantity over time.

4. Can a percentage difference be negative?

Yes, a percentage difference can be negative. This occurs when the second number is smaller than the first number, resulting in a negative difference. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the percentage difference to accurately interpret the change between the two values.

5. How can I use percentage difference in my research or experiments?

Percentage difference can be used in research and experiments to compare results or data sets. It can also be used to track changes over time and determine the effectiveness of different treatments or interventions. It is a useful tool for analyzing and interpreting data in a variety of scientific fields.