Percentage transmittance gamma ray through lead

In summary, percentage transmittance gamma ray through lead refers to the amount of gamma radiation that passes through a lead barrier compared to the original amount of radiation. It is calculated by dividing the amount of radiation that passes through the lead barrier by the original amount of radiation and multiplying by 100. Lead is commonly used as a barrier for gamma rays due to its high atomic number and density. The thickness of lead affects the percentage transmittance of gamma rays, with thicker barriers resulting in lower transmittance. Other factors such as energy and wavelength of the gamma rays, type of lead, and composition and thickness of additional layers can also affect the percentage transmittance.
Adam Rabe

Homework Statement

I = Io e-ux.PNG

Homework Equations

I = Io e^-ux

The Attempt at a Solution

0.75 = 1 * e^-u1
using algebra... u =2.117

I = 1 * e^-2.117*3
I = 0.00175

Answer is apparently 42.2. Can someone tell me where i went wrong? Thanks for any help as always

Physics news on Phys.org
Adam Rabe said:
0.75 = 1 * e^-u1
using algebra... u =2.117
Check your math. When I put ##e^{-2.117}## into my calculator, I don't get 0.75.

Drakkith said:
Check your math. When I put ##e^{-2.117}## into my calculator, I don't get 0.75.
omfg i got it. thanks a lot i derped out with the log rules.

1. What is percentage transmittance gamma ray through lead?

Percentage transmittance gamma ray through lead refers to the amount of gamma radiation that passes through a lead barrier compared to the original amount of radiation. It is a measure of how much radiation is able to penetrate through a material.

2. How is percentage transmittance gamma ray through lead calculated?

The percentage transmittance gamma ray through lead is calculated by dividing the amount of radiation that passes through the lead barrier by the original amount of radiation and multiplying by 100. This gives a percentage value that represents the amount of radiation that was able to pass through the lead.

3. Why is lead commonly used as a barrier for gamma rays?

Lead is commonly used as a barrier for gamma rays because it has a high atomic number and density, which makes it effective at absorbing and scattering gamma radiation. It is also readily available and relatively inexpensive.

4. How does the thickness of lead affect the percentage transmittance of gamma rays?

The thicker the lead barrier, the lower the percentage transmittance of gamma rays. This is because thicker barriers provide more material for the gamma rays to interact with, increasing the likelihood of absorption or scattering.

5. What other factors can affect the percentage transmittance of gamma rays through lead?

Other factors that can affect the percentage transmittance of gamma rays through lead include the energy and wavelength of the gamma rays, the type of lead used, and the composition and thickness of any additional layers or materials used in the barrier.