Perception of time, relative and distant.

In summary, The two planets are far apart, one is much larger than the other, and time moves more slowly on the larger planet. If there were two people on each planet, one would see the other go about their lives in slow motion, while the other would see the other go about their lives in a much faster mode. Measurements of a planet passing through its orbit would be different depending on where on the planet the observer is.
x3RangeMerge
Hello!

This is my first post, so I should make a small introduction. I am not a science expert in anyway shape or form, but I am a keen enthusiast who regularly keeps up to date with science news through popular websites such as IFLS, Space, BBC etc.

I have been wondering about this particular thing for some time, maybe somebody is able to shed some light.

If time, or the perception of time is affected due to the size of objects in space, then does it affect also how we see objects in space from either direction (i.e observing from here to there, or vice versa)?

So if there were, hypothetically, two planets inhabited by humans, far away from each other. One much larger than the other, where time moves slower. Say we could monitor each other, up close, through telescopes... would we from one side, see our fellow humans going about daily life in super slow motion, and they would see us as the opposite, in a sort of super speedy mode?

Any insights you can provide in order to help me understand the relationship here would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Mark C

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mark, welcome to PF!

You're probably talking about the gravitational time dilation - time slows down near a massive body when compared to the passage of time far away from that body. Note that this is not about size, but about mass and the distance from it.

Yes, you could in principle observe the difference like you described, but it would be minuscule for any mass difference of the planets that would still allow humans to live and not be immediately crushed. In the order of extra milliseconds per day. Completely unnoticeable without very precise equipment.

The recent SF film 'Interstellar' sidesteps the above problem at one time by having a sensibly-massive planet orbit a very, very massive object in an extremely close orbit - it's the gravity of the larger object that is causing the time difference. If in the film they ever looked at the people on the planet (I don't think they do), they'd see what you described.

A real-life scenario could be looking at the astronauts on the Moon (caveat: we don't have such high-resolution telescopes), or those in orbit. Their time is passing at a different rate than for us on Earth. One needs to additionally account for an opposite effect due to relative velocities, but it's there. Again, milliseconds per day.

Those milliseconds do count for our GPS satellites - their clocks need to correct for the gravitational and velocity-related effects on time passage, else they'd accumulate as much as metres of error per day and that'd be no good for their intended purpose.

Thank you sir, for your answer and warm welcome :)

I assume then that measurements taken of the planet traveling through its orbit would be different if taken from both locations? but would the difference be in terms of time or distance travelled?
Does that make sense?

So if we were in direct communication with the other planet, both parties would be able to agree at what point the planet had traveled through a particular mile stone, say 100,000 km, but would not be able to agree on how long it took?

I guess I am trying to understand is whether time dilation affect the object from a space travel perspective, or does it only affect perception of time at the source?

So essentially distance traveled through space is more consistant than time? So in some sense if we wanted to arrange a meeting with our friends on the other planet, at a 3rd point in the universe, we should best use a moving object visible to both parties in order to agree on a point in time to meet, say for example be there by the time the agreed planet or body has traveled 3 times round the sun?

Thanks again!

P.S I did enjoy interstellar, though not sure about the ending haha

x3RangeMerge said:
I assume then that measurements taken of the planet traveling through its orbit would be different if taken from both locations? but would the difference be in terms of time or distance travelled?
Using the same type of a clock, a person on a massive body and a person away from it would disagree on the duration of processes - like the time it takes to orbit a star or the age of the universe.

If one of the observers were traveling at high speed with respect to the measured distance, then the two observers would also disagree on the length of that distance - but that's due to a different effect (special relativity) than gravitational time dilation (general relativity). What I'm saying, neither time nor distance should be treated as cast in stone, even though in most cases - even in astronomy - they can be approximated as such.

x3RangeMerge said:
So in some sense if we wanted to arrange a meeting with our friends on the other planet, at a 3rd point in the universe, we should best use a moving object visible to both parties in order to agree on a point in time to meet, say for example be there by the time the agreed planet or body has traveled 3 times round the sun?
Yes, this can be always done. As long as we agree to count the same instance of a process, and not the same kind of a process. Meaning, if we were sitting in different gravity wells, rather than count how many times mine and yours cessium clocks tick, we should count how many times a particular clock (orbit, pulsar, Big Ben, only mine or only yours clock, etc.) ticks. While we might disagree on how long it took between ticks, we'll both agree on when* it ticks.

*that's actually not really true, as the concept of simultaneity is also relative. But (I think - I'm myself a bit over my head here), as long as we're comparing events on two stationary bodies of different masses only, it should work.

Hello Mark C,

Thank you for your interest in science and for your question about the perception of time in relation to distance. This is a very interesting concept to consider and there are a few different factors that may affect how we perceive time from a distance.

Firstly, it is important to note that time itself is not affected by distance. Time is a constant, universal measurement that is not influenced by the size or distance of objects in space. However, our perception of time can be influenced by various factors, such as gravity, speed, and even our own biological clocks.

In the scenario you described, where there are two planets inhabited by humans at different distances from each other, there may be a difference in how time is perceived due to the difference in gravitational pull. This is known as time dilation, where time moves slower in stronger gravitational fields. So, the planet with a stronger gravitational pull would experience time at a slower rate compared to the planet with a weaker gravitational pull. However, this difference in time perception would likely be very small and not noticeable in daily life.

In terms of observing each other through telescopes, the difference in time perception may not necessarily be noticeable. This is because the speed of light is constant and would not be affected by the gravitational pull of either planet. So, the images we see of each other through telescopes would not be distorted due to time dilation.

Another factor to consider is the speed at which the planets are moving relative to each other. If the planets are moving at significantly different speeds, this could affect how we perceive time from a distance. This is known as time dilation due to relative velocity. However, this would also likely be a very small difference and not noticeable in daily life.

In summary, while the perception of time can be influenced by factors such as gravity and relative velocity, these effects would likely be very small and not noticeable in a scenario such as the one you described. I hope this helps to shed some light on the relationship between distance and the perception of time. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up your interest in science!

Best,

1. What is the difference between relative and distant perception of time?

Relative perception of time refers to how time is experienced based on one's immediate environment or circumstances. It can vary greatly from person to person. Distant perception of time, on the other hand, refers to the perception of time on a larger scale, such as the passage of time over years or even centuries. It is less influenced by individual experiences and more by cultural and societal norms.

2. Can our perception of time change over time?

Yes, our perception of time can change over time. As we age, our perception of time tends to speed up, making it feel like time is passing by faster. This is due to changes in our brain and the way we process and remember information. Our perception of time can also be influenced by external factors, such as stress, exhaustion, and emotional states.

3. How does our perception of time affect our daily lives?

Our perception of time plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It helps us plan our activities, make decisions, and prioritize tasks. It also affects our mood and emotions, as well as our sense of productivity and accomplishment. Our perception of time can also influence our relationships and how we interact with others.

4. Is our perception of time purely subjective?

While our perception of time is largely subjective, it is also influenced by objective factors such as the circadian rhythm, which regulates our sleep-wake cycle, and external cues such as daylight and social norms. Our perception of time is also influenced by cultural and societal norms, which can vary greatly across different cultures and time periods.

5. Can we train our perception of time?

Yes, our perception of time can be trained and improved. Some studies have shown that practicing mindfulness and being present in the moment can help us slow down our perception of time. Engaging in new and challenging activities can also help us expand our perception of time and make it feel more fulfilling. Additionally, keeping a consistent and structured daily routine can help us better perceive the passage of time.