Perceptron learning algorithm?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithm
In summary, the author wrote a perceptron learning algorithm in C++, and found it not to be too complicated. They thought one team's project of creating a program that put scanned pieces of a jigsaw puzzle together was very cool.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Have you ever written a perceptron learning algorithm?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perceptron

Which language did you use? Would it be overly complicated to try to write it in C++ (compared with, say, MATLAB)?

Technology news on Phys.org
Hello,

yes, I have. I wrote it in C++ and it was not so hard. Simple perceptron is not very hard problem. Harder ist to write backprogation algorithm for a forward or recurent neural network.

Thanks for your reply. I am still trying to work it out on paper, and now I can see how a program that is specialized for matrices could have an advantage over implementing it in C++.

I have been trying to diagram out a simple two-input perceptron that will take a training set to learn the logic for OR, but I have been getting stuck. If I can't figure it out in a couple of days, I'll put up a diagram and some pseudocode and maybe you could help me figure out where I am going wrong. I agree - this should be simple! :redface:

Coding up artificial intelligence is really neat when it works. :smile:

Hurkyl said:
Coding up artificial intelligence is really neat when it works. :smile:

I've looked at the course websites for various AI classes and some of the projects they do look really fun. One team had created a program that took scanned pieces of a jigsaw puzzle and put them together. I thought that was very cool!

Hi:

I have the perceptron code in JAVA. Is a very simple proof of concepto. I give you a link to my site. The page is in spanish but you can download it from the very bottom of the page.

http://www.tecnohobby.net/ppal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22:perceptron&catid=42:rna&Itemid=19

Hope it is helpfull.

Related to Perceptron learning algorithm?

1. What is the Perceptron learning algorithm?

The Perceptron learning algorithm is a type of supervised learning algorithm used for binary classification tasks. It is based on the concept of a single-layer artificial neural network called a Perceptron, which takes in multiple inputs and produces a single output. The algorithm learns from a training dataset by adjusting the weights of the inputs until it can accurately classify data points into their respective categories.

2. How does the Perceptron learning algorithm work?

The Perceptron learning algorithm works by taking in a set of input data and corresponding labels, and then iteratively updating the weights of the inputs based on the errors made in classifying the data. It starts with random weights and then updates them until the algorithm can accurately classify all the data points. This process is repeated until the algorithm converges and produces a set of weights that can accurately classify new data points.

3. What are the advantages of using the Perceptron learning algorithm?

One of the main advantages of the Perceptron learning algorithm is its simplicity. It is a relatively easy algorithm to understand and implement, making it a good starting point for learning about neural networks. It is also efficient and can handle large datasets, making it suitable for real-world applications. Additionally, it is a linear classifier, meaning it can handle linearly separable data without any errors.

4. What are the limitations of the Perceptron learning algorithm?

One limitation of the Perceptron learning algorithm is that it can only handle linearly separable data. This means that it cannot accurately classify data that is not linearly separable, such as data with complex patterns or overlapping classes. It also requires a significant amount of training data to converge, and it may not perform well on datasets with noisy or irrelevant features.

5. How is the Perceptron learning algorithm different from other neural network algorithms?

The Perceptron learning algorithm is different from other neural network algorithms in several ways. It is a single-layer neural network, whereas other algorithms, such as multilayer perceptrons, have multiple layers. It also uses a different activation function, the step function, compared to other algorithms that use sigmoid or ReLU functions. Additionally, it is a type of supervised learning algorithm, whereas other neural network algorithms can also be used for unsupervised learning tasks.