Perfect Inelastic collision with string tension

In summary: At least that is what I think. In summary, a small wooden block with mass 0.800 kg is suspended from a light cord that is 1.60 m long. A bullet with mass 0.0132 kg is fired at the block with a horizontal velocity v_i. The bullet becomes embedded in the block and the combined object swings on the end of the cord. When the block has risen a vertical height of 0.800 m, the tension in the cord is 4.92 N. To find the v_i of the bullet, we use the equations for tension and conservation of momentum. We also relate v_i to the velocity at the height
erm151

Homework Statement

A small wooden block with mass 0.800 kg is suspended from the lower end of a light cord that is 1.60 m long. The block is initially at rest. A bullet with mass 0.0132 kg is fired at the block with a horizontal velocity v-_i. The bullet strikes the block and becomes embedded in it. After the collision the combined object swings on the end of the cord. When the block has risen a vertical height of 0.800 m , the tension in the cord is 4.92 N . What is the v_i of the bullet?

Homework Equations

Tension=mg+ma
a=mv^2/r
(m_1)(v_1)=(m_1+m_2)v_2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I input the centripetal acceleration equation into the tension equation so T=mg+m(((m_1+m_2)(v_2)^2)/r) then plugged in the numbers given in the equation so the formula began to look like 4.92N=(0.8132)(-9.8)+0.8132((0.8132(v_2)^2)/1.6) and when I solved for v_2 I got approximately 5.584. Then I used the 5.584 in the conservation of motion equation so v_1=(0.8132*5.584)/0.0132. That gives me 344m/s for velocity of the bullet but mastering physics says that wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello erm, :welcome:

Good start ! Good use of the template. Clear post. Pleasure to assist.

You want to take into account that the tension in the cord has a different direction than the ##mg##: it's all vectors.

Furthermore, your ##v_2## is at the bottom; if the block swings up, the speed will decrease. Exercise doesn't give that it hangs still after rising 0.8 m -- that would be too easy I suppose.

This is a nice, but not so easy exercise. You'll have to work it out in a few steps. Momentum balance for the initial inelastic collision is a good start. What do you want to get out of it (in the form of an expression with symbols) ?

So for the tension of the cord part would I have to include the cos(theta) into the work so T=mg(cos(theta)+ma? I don't understand what you mean by what I want to get out of the initial inelastic collision? If I understand you correctly I want to get the velocity of the bullet from the equality so v_1=((m_1+m_2)v_2)/m_1

OK, so you have a relationship between ##v_2## and the speed of the bullet. That's part of what I meant. For the next step you have to relate this ##v_2## to something else.

For the other part, I think you'll make things much clearer for yourself with a free-body diagram of the block at the point when it's risen 0.8 m.

Ok I figured it out. I had to find out the velocity at the height of 0.8m then use the KE+PE=Total energy equation so that 1/2 mv^2+mgh=1/2mv^2+mgh and one side is the velocity at 0.8 and the other (the velocity I am looking for) is calculated at h=0. so 1/2(0.8132)(v^2)=1/2(0.8132)(v at 0.8)+0.8132(9.8)(0.8)

What is a perfect inelastic collision with string tension?

A perfect inelastic collision with string tension is a type of collision where two objects collide and stick together, while also being connected by a string that is under tension. This type of collision is characterized by the conservation of momentum and the energy lost due to the deformation of the objects and the work done by the tension in the string.

What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision. This means that the total momentum of all the objects involved in a collision will be the same before and after the collision, regardless of any internal forces or interactions.

How does string tension affect a perfect inelastic collision?

The tension in the string during a perfect inelastic collision plays a crucial role in determining the amount of energy lost during the collision. The work done by the tension in the string reduces the kinetic energy of the colliding objects, resulting in a decrease in the total energy of the system.

What are some real-life examples of perfect inelastic collisions with string tension?

One example of a perfect inelastic collision with string tension is a game of billiards, where the cue ball collides with the object ball and they both stick together, connected by the tension in the felt of the table. Another example is a car crash, where the seatbelt exerts tension on the occupants, causing them to decelerate and reduce the impact of the collision.

How is the coefficient of restitution related to a perfect inelastic collision with string tension?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision, and it is related to a perfect inelastic collision with string tension by the fact that the objects involved in the collision do not bounce off each other. This results in a coefficient of restitution of zero, as there is no restitution or rebound of the objects after the collision.