Perihelion Shift in Near-Circular Orbits: 6πm/a + Higher Order Terms

In summary, the power series for the Schwarzschild portion of perihelion shift is given by Mathpages. The circular orbit does not have a perihelion, as all points on the orbit are at the same distance from the central object and therefore have constant angular velocity. The question is whether the power series is inadequate to describe orbits with extremely small eccentricities. However, there is no contradiction in the expressions and the results are similar to classical mechanics with a central potential different from 1/r. The period of small oscillations around the circular orbit does not match with the orbital period, but the amplitude of radial oscillations goes to zero and the period remains constant.
Jorrie
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The full power series for the Schwarzschild portion of perihelion shift is given in Mathpages as:

image021.png

where [itex]L = a(1-\epsilon^2)[/itex], [itex]a[/itex] the semi-minor axis and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] the eccentricity. This implies that as [itex]\epsilon[/itex] tends to zero, the perihelion shift tends to a non-vanishing [itex]6\pi m/a[/itex] + some much smaller higher order terms.

If we do an angular acceleration derivation for a Schwarzschild orbit ([itex]d^2\phi/dt^2[/itex]), I have arrived at
[tex]\frac{d^2\phi}{dt^2} = \frac{-2v_r v_\phi}{r} \frac{r-3m}{r-2m}[/tex]
where [itex]v_r=dr/dt[/itex] and [itex]v_\phi=d\phi/dt[/itex] (geometric units: c=G=1)
Pervect and CarlB have arrived at equivalent results in this old orbital acceleration thread.

My question is that since [itex]d^2\phi/dt^2[/itex] goes to zero when [itex]v_r[/itex] goes to zero for the circular orbit, how is this compatible with the non-vanishing perihelion shift above?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think there is a contradiction here? The circular orbit does not have a perihelion - all points on the orbit are at the same distance from the central object and therefore the angular velocity must be constant.

Orodruin said:
Why do you think there is a contradiction here? The circular orbit does not have a perihelion - all points on the orbit are at the same distance from the central object and therefore the angular velocity must be constant.
The question is then: is the power series from Mathpages giving the perihelion shift inadequate?

Jorrie said:
The question is then: is the power series from Mathpages giving the perihelion shift inadequate?
No. Again I do not understand why you would think there is a contradiction here. The limiting orbit has perfectly circular shape and such an orbit has constant angular velocity. There is no black magic here. If you perturb it ever so slightly you get an orbit with a perhelion shift.

Orodruin said:
The limiting orbit has perfectly circular shape and such an orbit has constant angular velocity
I agree, but this is not what the power series says is the limiting case. It gives an 'invisible' shift of 6 pi m/r. Which again raises my question: is the series inadequate, e.g. to describe orbits with extremely small eccentricities?

Jorrie said:
I agree, but this is not what the power series says is the limiting case. It gives an 'invisible' shift of 6 pi m/r. Which again raises my question: is the series inadequate, e.g. to describe orbits with extremely small eccentricities?
Why would you think the series would be inadequate? There is no contradiction anywhere in your expressions. You are misinterpreting and misrepresenting the results. The answer really was in my previous post.

Also, this is nothing different from what would occur in classical mechanics with a central potential different from the 1/r. It is just that the period of small oscillations around the circular orbit does not match with the orbital period.

Orodruin said:
Also, this is nothing different from what would occur in classical mechanics with a central potential different from the 1/r. It is just that the period of small oscillations around the circular orbit does not match with the orbital period
OK, I think I understand what you are saying. The amplitude of radial oscillations goes to zero, but not the period. So the lowest order peri-shift approximation in the series is independent of eccentricity (for constant L), but higher orders will show an eccentricity influence.

Talking about eccentricity influence is a bit misleading as the point is that the orbit is not an ellipse.

It might be more instructive to view things in terms of the relative periods between radial oscillations and the orbital period. The radial oscillations will have different periods depending on the amplitude as long as the effective potential is not harmonic.

Good point, thanks. :smile:

What is perihelion shift in near-circular orbits?

Perihelion shift in near-circular orbits refers to the gradual change in the position of the point of closest approach between a planet and the sun in a nearly circular orbit. This shift is caused by the gravitational pull of other planets and objects in the solar system.

What is the formula for calculating perihelion shift in near-circular orbits?

The formula for calculating perihelion shift in near-circular orbits is 6πm/a + higher order terms, where m is the mass of the planet and a is the semi-major axis of its orbit.

What are the higher order terms in the formula for perihelion shift?

The higher order terms in the formula for perihelion shift refer to additional factors that affect the shifting of the perihelion point, such as the eccentricity of the planet's orbit and the gravitational pull of other planets and objects in the solar system.

How does perihelion shift impact the orbit of a planet?

Perihelion shift can cause changes in the shape and orientation of a planet's orbit, known as orbital precession. This can also affect the planet's distance from the sun and the amount of time it takes to complete one orbit.

Why is understanding perihelion shift important in planetary science?

Understanding perihelion shift is important in planetary science because it can help us accurately predict the positions of planets in the future and understand the dynamics of the solar system. It also has practical applications, such as in spacecraft navigation and satellite communication.