Period of Motion for Masses on Rod w/ Spring Constant 5.4 Nm.rad-1

In summary: Let's agree the bar has total length L. Suppose you had only one mass m at one end of a bar of length L/2. What would I be if the axis of rotation were at the other end of the bar?In summary, the mass at the end of the bar with the axis of rotation at the other end has a moment of inertia which is twice the mass at the other end of the bar.
Dennydont

Homework Statement

A light rod of length 0.5 m has two point masses of mass 1.6 kg attached at either end. The rod is pivoted about its centre and is attached to a spring which exerts a moment on the rod that is proportional to the angle the rod is displaced from the equilibrium position and which attempts to return the rod to the equilibrium position. The rod is displaced 0.27 rad from the equilibrium position and released from rest. If the spring constant is 5.4 Nm.rad-1 what is the period of the resulting motion?

Homework Equations

y = Asin(ωt) = Asin(√((k/m)t))

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if that's even the correct equation that I would use in this situation. All the variables are there, so it must be so... How would I derive period t from that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dennydont said:

Homework Statement

A light rod of length 0.5 m has two point masses of mass 1.6 kg attached at either end. The rod is pivoted about its centre and is attached to a spring which exerts a moment on the rod that is proportional to the angle the rod is displaced from the equilibrium position and which attempts to return the rod to the equilibrium position. The rod is displaced 0.27 rad from the equilibrium position and released from rest. If the spring constant is 5.4 Nm.rad-1 what is the period of the resulting motion?

Homework Equations

y = Asin(ωt) = Asin(√((k/m)t))

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if that's even the correct equation that I would use in this situation. All the variables are there, so it must be so... How would I derive period t from that?
You need to use the equation relating torque to angular acceleration.

Greetings,
I'll answer your question with resources:
http://mmsphyschem.com/oscSpring.html .
SHM.
http://www.pstcc.edu/departments/natural_behavioral_sciences/Web%20Physics/Chapter015.htm.
Please note I am not into this spring and motion stuff...I tried my best gathering the most valuable data related on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
rude man said:
You need to use the equation relating torque to angular acceleration.
τ=ml^2α
Okay, done. Now what do I do with this equation? I've been given the mass and the length for this equation but that's about it. How is torque necessary in this problem?

Dennydont said:
τ=ml^2α
Okay, done. Now what do I do with this equation? I've been given the mass and the length for this equation but that's about it. How is torque necessary in this problem?
The moment of inertia of the rod with the two point masses is not ##m \ell^2 \ ##.

That's how torque is related to the angular velocity.

How does the spring produce that torque?

Dennydont said:
τ=ml^2α
Rewrite α in terms of the angle θ the rod makes with the position corresponding to zero torque. Then combine in the equation relating torque to the moment of inertia I, and θ. What is the torque expression? Hint: think spring constant relating torque to θ. BTW you may also want to think about what poster #5 said about your expression for I.

I'm not sure if this is correct, but could I relate spring constant to torque? τ=-kθ
And I realize now that ml^2 isn't the inertia for two-point masses? That should be: I = (mM/m+M)x^2
If I relate it to τ= Iα then: -kθ = Iα
Hmmm, can I say that α = ω/t where t is the period and just try to find that? Or did I come up with something that makes no sense?

Dennydont said:
I'm not sure if this is correct, but could I relate spring constant to torque? τ=-kθ.
Right.
And I realize now that ml^2 isn't the inertia for two-point masses? That should be: I = (mM/m+M)x^2
what is your x? m and M are the same, just use m.
If I relate it to τ= Iα then: -kθ = Iα
right.
Hmmm, can I say that α = ω/t where t is the period and just try to find that? Or did I come up with something that makes no sense?
No. What is the definition of α really?

rude man said:
Right.

what is your x? m and M are the same, just use m.
right.
No. What is the definition of α really?
x = 0.5, that's the distance between the two m's. Okay, but is that the right equation for two-point masses? I = (m2/2m)x^2 since m and M are the same?
α = d2θ/dt2 something like that?

Dennydont said:
x = 0.5, that's the distance between the two m's. Okay, but is that the right equation for two-point masses? I = (m2/2m)x^2 since m and M are the same?
Don't like your choice of x.
Let's agree the bar has total length L.
Suppose you had only one mass m at one end of a bar of length L/2. What would I be if the axis of rotation were at the other end?
α = d2θ/dt2 something like that?
EXACTLY like that!
So what does the torque equation look like? Leave I = I for the moment until you have that figured out in terms of L and m.

rude man said:
Don't like your choice of x.
Let's agree the bar has total length L.
Suppose you had only one mass m at one end of a bar of length L/2. What would I be if the axis of rotation were at the other end?

EXACTLY like that!
So what does the torque equation look like? Leave I = I for the moment until you have that figured out in terms of L and m.
I always have issues with the moment of inertia. But okay the expression should look like: d2θ/dt2*I = -kθ and I should rearrange everything to find dt which happens to be the period?
I don't quite understand the inertia but perhaps it is the sum of the contributions from the two masses? So m = 3.2kg multiplied by L2? No that doesn't sound right...

Dennydont said:
I always have issues with the moment of inertia. But okay the expression should look like: d2θ/dt2*I = -kθ and I should rearrange everything to find dt which happens to be the period?
I don't quite understand the inertia but perhaps it is the sum of the contributions from the two masses? So m = 3.2kg multiplied by L2? No that doesn't sound right...
The moment of inertia is the sum of:
The moment of inertia of a rod of length, L, about its center.
The moment of inertia two point masses at opposite ends of a mass-less rod of length, L.​

Added in Edit:

It's a light bar, so ignore its contribution to the moment of inertia.

Last edited:
Dennydont said:
No. You need to solve the differential equation. That will give you the period along with everything else.
If youi haven't had diff. eq's then you need to compare this equation with the equation of a mass on a spring.
If I is the inertia of a mass at the end of a bar of length L/2 pivoted at the other end, then the I of two identical bars, identically pivoted, is twice the I of one of the bars.
Don't use numbers until you have figured out I(L,m).

rude man said:
No. You need to solve the differential equation. That will give you the period along with everything else.
If youi haven't had diff. eq's then you need to compare this equation with the equation of a mass on a spring.
If I is the inertia of a mass at the end of a bar of length L/2 pivoted at the other end, then the I of two identical bars, identically pivoted, is twice the I of one of the bars.
Don't use numbers until you have figured out I(L,m).
ml^2 = I? Multiplied by 2 since the inertia for one of the bars is the same as the other?
How on Earth do I solve this differential equation for period T?

Look at the Formula sheet Doctor Moore provided you with!

Likes Sam Fielder and SammyS
Dennydont said:
ml^2 = I? Multiplied by 2 since the inertia for one of the bars is the same as the other?
What's the expression for a point mass a distance L/2 away from the pivot point?
How on Earth do I solve this differential equation for period T?
It's a simple 2nd order linear, constant-coefficient ODE. You should wind up with something like θ = θ0cos(ωt) with θ0 the amplitude and ω a function of some of your given parameters. Surely you can deduce the period of a signal cos(ωt) if ω is given.
I'll have to sign off here.

1. What is the formula for calculating the period of motion for masses on a rod with spring constant 5.4 Nm.rad-1?

The formula for calculating the period of motion for masses on a rod with spring constant 5.4 Nm.rad-1 is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.

2. How does the mass of the object affect the period of motion on a rod with spring constant 5.4 Nm.rad-1?

The mass of the object affects the period of motion on a rod with spring constant 5.4 Nm.rad-1 by directly influencing the period. As the mass increases, the period also increases, and as the mass decreases, the period decreases.

3. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the period of motion on a rod with spring constant 5.4 Nm.rad-1?

The relationship between the spring constant and the period of motion on a rod with spring constant 5.4 Nm.rad-1 is inverse. This means that as the spring constant increases, the period decreases, and as the spring constant decreases, the period increases.

4. How does the length of the rod affect the period of motion on a rod with spring constant 5.4 Nm.rad-1?

The length of the rod does not have a direct effect on the period of motion on a rod with spring constant 5.4 Nm.rad-1. However, it indirectly affects the period by influencing the displacement of the mass and the spring, which can affect the period.

5. Can the period of motion for masses on a rod with spring constant 5.4 Nm.rad-1 be altered?

Yes, the period of motion for masses on a rod with spring constant 5.4 Nm.rad-1 can be altered by changing the mass, spring constant, or length of the rod. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the period.