How Do You Derive the Period of a Pendulum with Arbitrary Amplitude?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of a pendulum, its amplitude, and the attempt to derive an expression for its period. The derived expression involves integrals and trigonometric identities, and the conversation ends with uncertainty about how to proceed with the integral in order to get the desired answer.
StrangelyQuarky

Homework Statement

A pendulum obeys the equation [tex] \ddot{\theta} = -\sin(\theta) [/tex] and has amplitude [tex] \theta_0 [/tex]. I have to show that the period is
[tex] T = 4 \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{d\phi}{\sqrt{1-\alpha \sin^2(\phi)}} [/tex] where [tex] \alpha = \sin^2(\frac{\theta_0}{2})[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I derived an expression for time:

[tex] \dot{\theta}\frac{d\dot{\theta}}{d\theta} = -\sin(\theta) [/tex]

I said that the pendulum starts out at the height of its amplitude [tex] \theta = \theta_0 [/tex] where it also has zero velocity

[tex] \int_{0}^{\dot{\theta}} \dot{\theta}d\dot{\theta} = \int_{\theta_0}^{\theta} -\sin(\theta)d\theta [/tex]

[tex] \dot{\theta} = \frac{d\theta}{dt}= \pm \sqrt{2(\cos(\theta)-\cos(\theta_0))} [/tex]

So for the period we can integrate from [tex] \theta_0 \text{ to } 0 [/tex], which is a quarter of the period, then multiply by 4 to get the whole period.

[tex] T = 4 \int_{\theta_0}^{0} \frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{2(\cos(\theta)-\cos(\theta_0))}} [/tex]

By the half-angle identity,

[tex] T = 2 \int_{\theta_0}^{0} \frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{\sin^2(\theta_0 /2)-\sin^2(\theta /2)}} = 2 \int_{\theta_0}^{0} \frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{\alpha-\sin^2(\theta /2)}} [/tex]

And this is where I'm stuck. It looks similar to the desired answer, but I can't think of any identity or substitution that would give the right integrand and limits.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the period of pendulum motion?

The period of pendulum motion is the time it takes for a pendulum to complete one full swing or oscillation. It is typically measured in seconds.

2. How is the period of pendulum motion calculated?

The period of pendulum motion can be calculated using the equation T=2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Does the length of the pendulum affect its period?

Yes, the length of the pendulum does affect its period. The longer the length of the pendulum, the longer the period will be. This is because a longer pendulum has a greater distance to travel and therefore takes longer to complete one oscillation.

4. How does the mass of the pendulum affect its period?

The mass of the pendulum does not affect its period. The period of pendulum motion is only dependent on the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity. This means that pendulums of different masses but the same length will have the same period.

5. What factors can affect the period of pendulum motion?

The period of pendulum motion can be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction, and the strength of the pivot point. These factors can cause the pendulum to lose energy and therefore decrease its period.