Periodic sound by a violin string

In summary, the sound wave produced by a violin's G string has three frequencies: 392, 588, and 980 Hz. The fundamental frequency is the lowest frequency in a harmonic series, which in this case is 392 Hz. The other two frequencies are not harmonics of 392 Hz as they are not multiples of it.
mikefitz
Analysis of the periodic sound wave produced by a violin's G string includes three frequencies: 392, 588, and 980 Hz. What is the fundamental frequency? [Hint: The wave on the string is the superposition of several different standing wave patterns.]

The fundamental frequency is the lowest frequency in a harmonic series; in this case it is 392 Hz. I know that for the first harmonic series that the wavelength is equal to 2xLength of the string (according to a site I found on google). Knowing this information I am a little confused as to where I should start to solve this problem. Can anyone offer me some guidance? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are 588 and 980 Hz harmonics of 392 Hz?

That would be false, they are not multiples of 392...

mikefitz said:
That would be false, they are not multiples of 392...
Are the three all multiples of something?

Related to Periodic sound by a violin string

1. What causes a violin string to make a sound?

A violin string makes a sound when it is plucked or bowed. This causes the string to vibrate, producing a sound wave that travels through the air to our ears.

2. How does the frequency of a violin string affect its sound?

The frequency of a violin string refers to the number of times it vibrates per second. The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch of the sound. Different notes played on a violin correspond to different frequencies of the string.

3. What is the relationship between tension and pitch in a violin string?

The pitch of a violin string is determined by the tension of the string. When the tension is increased, the string becomes tighter and the pitch becomes higher. Conversely, decreasing the tension lowers the pitch of the string.

4. How does the length of a violin string affect its sound?

The length of a violin string also affects its pitch. Shorter strings produce higher pitches, while longer strings produce lower pitches. This is why different notes on a violin are played on different strings of varying lengths.

5. Can the sound of a violin string be altered by changing its material?

Yes, the material of a violin string can influence its sound. Different materials have different densities and stiffness, which can affect the string's vibration and ultimately the sound it produces. Materials commonly used for violin strings include steel, gut, and synthetic materials.