Periodic vs. oscillatory motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the definitions of oscillatory motion, periodic motion, and simple harmonic motion (S.H.M.). The speaker is unsure of which answer is correct because they know that oscillatory motion is a special case of periodic motion and that S.H.M. has a mean position, but they are not sure if the definitions overlap. They are asked if their textbook provides definitions and if they have looked online for clarification. The speaker mentions that the textbook defines oscillatory motion but does not mention the relationship to S.H.M. or periodic motion. The speaker also notes that S.H.M. has a mean position, which they believe is a characteristic of oscillatory motion. They are unsure of which answer to choose because it is unclear where
abdsaber000
Homework Statement
To and fro motion of a particle about a mean position is called:
(oscillatory motion and periodic - oscillatory motion and S.H.M - harmonic motion and periodic)
Relevant Equations
none
I'm hesitated between the first and second choice

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Does your textbook give definitions of each? If not, have you looked online (like at Wikipedia) to see what the common definitions are?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Does your textbook give definitions of each? If not, have you looked online (like at Wikipedia) to see what the common definitions are?
yeah my textbook gives it a definition, the defintion mentioned in the question the definition of the oscillatory motion , but i know that oscillatory motion is a special case of periodic motion . in addition that in S.H.M the acceleration is directly proportional to the displacement. but the S.H.M has also a mean position like the oscillatory. that's why i can't decide which is answer is correct.

abdsaber000 said:
(oscillatory motion and periodic - oscillatory motion and S.H.M - harmonic motion and periodic)
It is unclear where one choice ends and the next begins.
Please put each choice on a separate line.
If the above mixes in definitions of the terms, please make that clearer too.
abdsaber000 said:
S.H.M has also a mean position
I would think any regular oscillation has to have a mean position.

1. What is the difference between periodic and oscillatory motion?

Periodic motion refers to a motion that repeats itself after a fixed amount of time, while oscillatory motion refers to a motion that repeats itself around a central point or equilibrium position.

2. Can periodic motion also be considered oscillatory motion?

Yes, periodic motion can also be considered oscillatory motion if it repeats itself around a central point or equilibrium position.

3. What is an example of periodic motion?

An example of periodic motion is the motion of a pendulum, where the pendulum swings back and forth in a fixed amount of time.

4. What is an example of oscillatory motion?

An example of oscillatory motion is the motion of a mass on a spring, where the mass moves up and down around the equilibrium position.

5. How are periodic and oscillatory motion related to each other?

Periodic and oscillatory motion are related in that they both involve repetitive motion, but periodic motion repeats itself after a fixed amount of time while oscillatory motion repeats itself around a central point or equilibrium position.