Permittivity versus conductivity

E}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial E}{\partial t}In summary, permittivity corresponds to the opposition of a material to an electric field, while conductivity corresponds to the opposition of a material to the first time derivative of the field. These two concepts are related, as seen in the equation above. The equivalent of conductivity for magnetic fields is permeability. Examples of materials with high permittivity/low conductivity or vice versa are those with high polarizability.
wil3
Would it be fair to say that permittivity corresponds to the opposition of a material to an electric field, whereas conductivity corresponds to the opposition of a material to the first time derivative of the field? It seems like these two concepts should have some sort of quantitative link, as the concept of displacement current almost treats permittivity as resistance, but I can't quite figure out what exactly the relationship is.

If the above is true, then what would be the equivalent of conductivity for magnetic fields? I feel like permittivity and permeability are analogous so I feel like there should be a natural complement to conductivity.

Finally, what are some examples of materials with high permittivity/low conductivity, or vice versa? I'm trying to get a better idea of chemical properties that give rise to the two (I'm aware that permittivity has something to do with polarizability)

thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Ya Certainly I think the relative permittivity and the conductivity are related.
[tex]
\nabla \cdot J=-\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}
[/tex]
and
[tex] J=\sigma E
[/tex]
Putting this in and using
[tex]
\nabla \cdot E=\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}
[/tex]

What is permittivity?

Permittivity, also known as electric constant, is a measure of a material's ability to store an electric charge in an electric field. It is denoted by the symbol ε and is measured in units of farads per meter (F/m).

What is conductivity?

Conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct electric current. It is denoted by the symbol σ and is measured in units of siemens per meter (S/m).

How are permittivity and conductivity related?

Permittivity and conductivity are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the permittivity of a material increases, its conductivity decreases and vice versa.

What is the difference between permittivity and dielectric constant?

Permittivity and dielectric constant are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. Dielectric constant is a measure of a material's ability to store an electric charge, similar to permittivity, but it is measured relative to the permittivity of a vacuum and has no units.

Why are permittivity and conductivity important?

Permittivity and conductivity are important in many fields of science and engineering, such as electromagnetism, electronics, and materials science. They play a crucial role in determining the behavior of materials in electric fields and are essential for the design and functioning of electronic devices.