Personal COMSOL challenge (EM)

In summary, the individual encountered an error while trying to plot the fields outside of a current carrying wire in 3D using COMSOL. This error was due to the material chosen for the enclosing sphere being "Air" with a conductivity of 0 S/m, which prevented the solver from converging. Changing the conductivity to 8e-15 S/m solved the issue.
vis viva
TL;DR Summary
For the purpose of exploring COMSOL my challenge is to plot E/M-fields of a piece of current carrying wire.
Hi Y'all

For the purpose of exploring COMSOL, I challenged my self to plot the E/M-fields of a piece of current carrying wire in 3D. It's quite a simple task to plot the fields inside the wire, but I fail when plotting the fields outside the wire.

For plotting the outside fields I have enclosed the wire in a sphere. When the material of the sphere is e.g. FR4 (Circuit Board) I can obtain the below plot. Please note the wire is excited with 1A DC by "Lumped Port 1" and I have chosen "Magnetic and Electric Fields (mef)" as Physics because it is supposed to fully couple Magnetic and Electric Fields.
Screenshot from 2020-02-13 13-49-37.png

However if the chosen material for the sphere is "Air" then I always get an error:

Failed to find a solution.
Singular matrix.

For mesh case 0 there are 17824 void equations (empty rows in matrix) for the variable comp1.V.
at coordinates: (-0.00754829,-0.00476567,-0.00350686), (-0.00725854,-0.00573252,-0.00280156), (-0.00659457,-0.00684682,-0.00210367), (-0.00447219,-0.00590542,-0.00477199), (-0.00435897,-0.00567258,-0.00598722), ...

and similarly for the degrees of freedom (empty columns in matrix).
Returned solution is not converged.

Not all parameter steps returned.

What am I doing wrong here?

Klaus Z.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
I found the error, so just for posterity:

I was using the material "Air" from the built-in material library which I wasn't hesitant about using, as it worked fine in other example simulations.

However the electrical conductivity property was set to 0 (zero) S/m, and that prevented the solver in converging. Then I changed the value to 8e-15 S/m and it found a solution without problems.

Likes DrClaude

1. What is a Personal COMSOL challenge (EM)?

A Personal COMSOL challenge (EM) is a simulation-based competition organized by COMSOL, a software company that specializes in multiphysics simulations. It challenges participants to solve a specific electromagnetic problem using the COMSOL software and showcases their skills and creativity in solving real-world engineering problems.

2. How can I participate in a Personal COMSOL challenge (EM)?

To participate in a Personal COMSOL challenge (EM), you need to register on the COMSOL website and download the COMSOL software. Then, you can access the challenge problem and submit your solution before the deadline. There is usually no entry fee for these challenges.

3. What are the benefits of participating in a Personal COMSOL challenge (EM)?

Participating in a Personal COMSOL challenge (EM) can bring several benefits, such as gaining experience in using the COMSOL software, showcasing your skills to potential employers, and winning prizes. It also allows you to network with other participants and experts in the field of electromagnetics.

4. What kind of problems are typically included in a Personal COMSOL challenge (EM)?

The problems in a Personal COMSOL challenge (EM) can vary, but they usually involve designing and optimizing electromagnetic devices or structures, such as antennas, sensors, and motors. These problems can be related to various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and electronics.

5. Can I use the COMSOL software for other types of simulations besides electromagnetics?

Yes, the COMSOL software is a multiphysics simulation tool that can be used for various types of simulations, including heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and structural mechanics. The company also organizes Personal COMSOL challenges for other physics disciplines, such as fluid dynamics and structural mechanics.