Perturbation to Flat Space Metric: Geodesic Equation

In summary: I'm not sure what you want to calculate, but for static solutions you can always diagonalize the metric such that the line element is invariant under a time reflection. Then the inverse of the metric is easily found.
Apashanka
From the geodesic equation
d2xμ/dΓ2μ00(dt/dΓ)2=0,for non-relativistic case ,where Γ is the proper time and vi<<c implying dxi/dΓ<<dt/dΓ.
Now if we assume that the metric tensor doesn't evolve with time (e,g gij≠f(t) ) then Γμ00=-1/2gμs∂g00/∂xs.
If we here assume that the metric components of the curved part is a perturbation on the flat part
Then gμϑμϑ(flat part)+hμϑ(perturbation)
After which I got stuck in calculating the inverse components of the metric tensor gϑμ which is needed in Γμ00 above.
Can anyone please help me in sort put this.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
because all components of ##h## are assumed to satisfy ##|h_{\mu \nu}| <<1## and also off diagonal terms are zero. Then the inverse is just $$g^{\mu \nu} = \frac{1}{\eta_{\mu \nu} + h_{\mu \nu}} \approx \eta_{\mu \nu} - h_{\mu \nu}$$ This follows from the observation: if ##a^2 - b^2 = (a + b)(a-b) = \approx 1## then ##1 / (a+b) \approx a-b##.

kent davidge said:
because all components of ##h## are assumed to satisfy ##|h_{\mu \nu}| <<1## and also off diagonal terms are zero. Then the inverse is just $$g^{\mu \nu} = \frac{1}{\eta_{\mu \nu} + h_{\mu \nu}} \approx \eta_{\mu \nu} - h_{\mu \nu}$$ This follows from the observation: if ##a^2 - b^2 = (a + b)(a-b) = \approx 1## then ##1 / (a+b) \approx a-b##.
Yes it is but if the off diagonal terms are non-zero for the general case what will be it??

Apashanka said:
Yes it is but if the off diagonal terms are non-zero for the general case what will be it??
For the general case, consider that $$g_{\kappa \sigma}g^{\sigma \rho} = (\eta_{\kappa \sigma} + h_{\kappa \sigma})(\eta^{\sigma \rho} \pm h^{\sigma \rho}) = \delta_\kappa{}^\rho \pm \eta_{\kappa \sigma} h^{\sigma \rho} + \eta^{\sigma \rho} h_{\kappa \sigma} + \mathcal O (h^2) \approx \delta_\kappa{}^\rho \pm h_\kappa{}^\rho + h_\kappa{}^\rho$$ this will be equal to ##\delta_\kappa{}^\rho## only if we use the minus sign.

(indices are raised and lowered with ##\eta##)

From matrix formulation if matrices A,B and C are given with their inverses $$A^{-1},B{^-1 }$$and $$C^{-1}$$ and given A=B+C
If $$A^{-1}=B^{-1}+C^{-1}$$ ,then $$I=2I+BC^{-1}+CB^{-1}$$$$I_{ik}+b_{ij}c^{jk}+c_{ip}b^{pk}$$$$\delta_{i}^{k}+\eta_{ij}h^{jk}+h_{ip}\eta^{pk}$$$$\delta_{i}^{k}+2h^k_i=0$$
Similarly for $$A^{-1}=B^{-1}-C^{-1}$$ then $$CB^{-1}-BC^{-1}=I$$$$h_{ij}\eta^{jk}-\eta_{ip}h^{pk}=I_{ik}$$ $$h_i^k-h_i^k=\delta_i^k$$...(1)
Now if $$g_{ij}=\eta_{ij}+h_{ij}$$ and $$g^{ij}=\eta^{ij}-h^{ij}$$( where ##\eta^{ij}## is the inverse element of ##\eta_{ij}## and similarly for h also),to satisfy equation (1) that hij is not the inverse element of hij? Is it??

The notation ##h_{\kappa \sigma} h^{\sigma \rho}## means ##h_{\kappa \sigma} \eta^{\sigma \lambda} \eta^{\rho \mu} h_{\lambda \mu} = h_\kappa{}^\lambda h_\lambda{}^\rho##.
This means you are multiplying ##h## with itself: the ##\kappa##-th colunm of ##h## is being multiplied with the ##\rho##-th row of ##h##.

However ##\eta_{\kappa \sigma} \eta^{\sigma \rho} = \delta_\kappa{}^\rho## because ##\eta^{\sigma \rho}## is really the inverse of ##\eta_{\sigma \rho}##.

I'm not sure what you want to calculate, but for static solutions you can always diagonalize the metric such that the line element is invariant under a time reflection. Then the inverse of the metric is easily found.

1. What is perturbation to flat space metric?

Perturbation to flat space metric is a mathematical concept used in the field of general relativity to describe the effects of small changes or disturbances in the curvature of spacetime. It is often used to study the behavior of particles or objects moving through a flat spacetime, and how their trajectories are affected by small deviations from a perfectly flat metric.

2. How is perturbation to flat space metric calculated?

The perturbation to flat space metric is calculated by adding small variations to the components of the flat space metric, which is a mathematical representation of a perfectly flat spacetime. These variations can be caused by the presence of massive objects or other disturbances in the spacetime, and are typically expressed in terms of a small parameter called the perturbation parameter.

3. What is the geodesic equation in relation to perturbation to flat space metric?

The geodesic equation is a fundamental equation in general relativity that describes the paths of objects moving through a curved spacetime. In the context of perturbation to flat space metric, the geodesic equation is used to calculate the trajectories of particles or objects moving through a perturbed flat spacetime, taking into account the effects of small deviations from a perfectly flat metric.

4. What are some applications of perturbation to flat space metric?

Perturbation to flat space metric has many applications in the field of general relativity, including the study of gravitational waves, black holes, and the behavior of objects in the vicinity of massive objects. It is also used in cosmology to study the evolution of the universe and the large-scale structure of spacetime.

5. How does perturbation to flat space metric relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Perturbation to flat space metric is a key concept in Einstein's theory of general relativity, as it allows for the study of small deviations from a perfectly flat spacetime. This is important because in the real world, spacetime is not perfectly flat, and the theory of general relativity allows us to describe and understand the effects of these deviations on the behavior of objects and particles in the universe.