Peter Doherty On Covid with Informative Video That Is A Must Watch

In summary, Bill mentioned that after reading Peter Doherty's book on Covid, he found that the book and video were both available on the Covid Institute's website as well as content written since the book's release. He also mentioned that the video is a must watch and that it is like usual - those who know about the subject won't watch it, while those who don't know will. Bill clarified that sepsis from the flu, while rare, can and does occur and that those that don't develop pneumonia tend to get over easier than those that do. He also mentioned that long Covid is mostly due to CNS effects and that the best way to describe it is like chasing a ghost.
Hi All

I mentioned I was reading Peter Doherty's book on Covid. Good book. But it turns out there was no need to buy it even though it was cheap. He has it all on his institute's website, plus stuff he has written since releasing the book.

Here it is:
https://www.doherty.edu.au/news-events/setting-it-straight

I think the video is a MUST watch - extremely educational. Here is a separate link for convenience:

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G and OmCheeto
Biology news on Phys.org
bhobba said:
I will do a separate post linking to it; I think it is so important.
It is a bit like usual: Those who actually must watch the video won't, or won't trust even a Nobel laureate, and the others already know its content. I hope your threads will reach at least some of the first group!

• Love
Likes hutchphd and bhobba
Unfortunately, as you point out, it is the same with a lot of things posted here. We have two types of people posting; those knowledgeable in the subject, which accounts for many people, and those who come here with basic knowledge and want to know more, who seem to be in the minority.

I thought I knew a bit about Covid, but I didn't know it was the only human respiratory viral disease that gets into the blood. I knew it got into the blood but didn't know it was unique like that. The flu, for example, can, but hardly ever does.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
I thought I knew a bit about Covid, but I didn't know it was the only human viral disease that gets into the blood.
It depends on how you define disease. Think about Malaria, HIV or Hepatitis. I think he wanted to make sure that people understand that it is not something like the flu and that it often infects multiple inner organs, which is why it is so dangerous. To me, the micro clots were new. I knew that it spreads, but not how, i.e. that the micro clots are the problem. Instead of uniqueness, which I think cannot be stated in general, he might have better emphasized the tiny blood vessels in e.g. our kidneys. This fact makes micro clots a macro concern. Micro sounds little, but it isn't.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
fresh_42 said:
I think he wanted to make sure that people understand that it is not something like the flu and that it often infects multiple inner organs, which is why it is so dangerous.

Indeed. I had to rewrite my response a couple of times to get the message right. Sepsis from the flu, while rare, can and does occur. When it does happen, it is serious. As you say, its purpose likely is so people understand just how bad Covid is. It is not just another flu. I didn't know about the micro clots either; I am not up to that in his book. It possibly has something to do with long Covid, especially the symptom of brain fog. Further research is needed.

Thanks
Bill

I know of a woman who died from sepsis , she had Covid, she was older and bit weak, Covid took her over quite fast.
I don't have data on this but from what I know in the people that have been sick is that On average those who don't develop pneumonia (Covid doesn't spread to lungs) get over much easier than those that do develop pneumonia. I guess it could be explained that once in the lung tissue it has a larger total area from which to spread further into the blood etc?

I also now understand long Covid much better, I myself had a medium long Covid for a few months, all tests came back fine even excellent and yet I felt bad, it seems long Covid is mostly due to CNS effects.
The thing I still can't figure out is what exactly is wrong with the CNS chemically given (for me) all blood tests were good. I did both vitamins and immune markers, inflammation ones etc pretty much all that was on the list. I read others have an almost similar experience - blood tests are fine, CT scans and MRI's show no physical damage etc, yet the feeling is that of a sick person with wildly varying symptoms yet none of them physical.

Honestly the best way to describe it is - like chasing a ghost.

What is the main topic of "Peter Doherty On Covid with Informative Video That Is A Must Watch"?

The main topic of "Peter Doherty On Covid with Informative Video That Is A Must Watch" is the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on global health.

Who is Peter Doherty and why is he discussing Covid?

Peter Doherty is an Australian immunologist and Nobel laureate who is known for his research on infectious diseases. He is discussing Covid because it is a global health crisis that falls within his area of expertise.

What makes this video a "must watch" for people interested in Covid?

This video is a "must watch" because it features insights and information from a renowned expert in the field of immunology and infectious diseases. It also provides a comprehensive overview of the current state of the Covid pandemic and offers potential solutions and strategies for managing it.

Is the information in the video reliable and scientifically accurate?

Yes, the information in the video is reliable and scientifically accurate as it is presented by a Nobel laureate and backed by scientific evidence and research.

Where can I find the video "Peter Doherty On Covid with Informative Video That Is A Must Watch"?

The video can be found on various online platforms, such as YouTube or the website of the organization hosting the video. It may also be shared on social media platforms.