PF Access Issues: 1 Year and Counting

• Bug
  • Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary, Lisa was unable to access her personal website, Physicsforums.com, for a year. After some minutes, she received a "The connection has timed out" error. She tried other browsers, cleared their cache and cookies, and tried other means of accessing the site, but to no avail. After trying a different internet provider, she found that the problem was with her provider and not the website.
Lisa!
Gold Member
It's been for a year now that I don't have access to PF! I asked my ISP about this problem but they told me it's not a blocked site in my region I can only open PF via VPN but the speed is usually slow , so I prefer not to surf the net through VPN. I assume the problem is because of "https" but I'm not sure since I have access to other websites like google!

Physics news on Phys.org
Lisa! said:
It's been for a year now that I don't have access to PF!
Hi Lisa, can you be specific? What happens when you try to access?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Hi Lisa, can you be specific? What happens when you try to access?
After some minutes I receive a "The connection has timed out" error!
The connection has timed out

The server at physicsforums.com is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Lisa! said:
After some minutes I receive a "The connection has timed out" error!
Have you tried other browsers? Cleared their cache and cookies?

Sometimes I get this, not only with PF but more generally with sites that are usually no problem.
In my case I think it's caused by a traffic overload, probably within the systems of my ISP.
I found that this is almost always solved by switching off my router for a couple of minutes then restarting it.
That mean I get a new IP address, so the routing of packets to me takes a different path, one that is most likely unaffected by whatever the cause of the traffic jam was.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Have you tried other browsers? Cleared their cache and cookies?
Yes, I tried everything! :oldfrown:
Never mind!I think it's my internet provider fault but they don't want to accept.

Do you traceroute and if the signal dies on their end you have proof.

Likes Lisa!

1. What is the main issue with PF access?

The main issue with PF access is that it has been one year since the problem was first identified and it still has not been resolved.

2. What is PF access and why is it important?

PF access refers to the ability to access and use the protein folding database, which contains important information about how proteins fold and function. This database is crucial for scientists studying protein structure and function, and the access issues have hindered their research progress.

3. What has been done to address the PF access issues?

Several attempts have been made to address the PF access issues, including reaching out to the database administrators and exploring alternative access methods. However, these efforts have not yet resulted in a resolution.

4. How have the PF access issues affected scientific research?

The PF access issues have significantly affected scientific research in the field of protein folding and structure. Many researchers rely on the database for their work, and the inability to access it has delayed or hindered their progress. This has also led to frustration and setbacks in the scientific community.

5. Is there a timeline for when the PF access issues will be resolved?

At this time, there is no clear timeline for when the PF access issues will be resolved. The database administrators are working to address the problem, but it is a complex issue and may take some time to fully resolve. In the meantime, scientists are encouraged to explore alternative methods for accessing protein folding data.