Problems Accessing PF - Have You Experienced Issues?

• Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date
In summary, there have been reports of error messages such as "bad gateway" or "gateway timeout" when accessing Physics Forums, causing temporary inability to access the site. Some users have also experienced delays when previewing posts, possibly related to advertisements being loaded from various URLs. The issue is being investigated and some users have reported that the problem has been resolved. However, there have been occasional reports of 502 errors and database problems.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've been getting a lot of error messages like "bad gateway" or "gateway timeout" lately. When it happens, I'm unable to access PF for a few minutes. But I can access other sites. Does anyone else have these problems or is it just me?

I have also occassionally had a different, but possibly related, problem when I'm previewing my posts. I have to wait for my browser (FF6) to access some web site. Sometimes it's physicsforums.com, but usually it's something I've never heard of. I've seen lots of different URLs appear in the lower left corner. I assume that they are the URLs that advertisements are loaded from. The reason I say that it's possibly related is that the last time I had to wait for 10 seconds or so at each preview, after a while I got one of those annoying gateway messages instead.

Physics news on Phys.org
fyi, keep me updated if this is still happening

No problems today. Thanks. I'll let you know if it comes back.

I have had a number of the 502 messages in the past months, but those seem to have resolved, somehow. I'm sure that there is not too much PF traffic from my ISP's root address, so perhaps Greg's tools took care of that.

502's for me this early am EST, around 6 am or so.

Rhody...

Database problems about 30 minutes ago, lasted at least 10 minutes if not longer.

Yep. Me too.

Now there was a bunch of gateway problems.

1. Why am I having trouble accessing my PF account?

There could be a variety of reasons why you are experiencing issues with accessing your PF account. It could be due to technical difficulties on our end, an incorrect login or password, or an issue with your internet connection.

2. How can I resolve the problem of not being able to access my PF account?

If you are unable to access your PF account, the first step is to make sure you are entering the correct login and password. If you are still having issues, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or try accessing your account from a different device or browser. If the problem persists, please contact our customer support team for further assistance.

3. Is there a way to retrieve a forgotten password for my PF account?

Yes, if you have forgotten your password for your PF account, you can click on the "Forgot Password" link on the login page. You will be prompted to provide your email address associated with your account and instructions on how to reset your password will be sent to you.

4. Can I access my PF account from any device?

Yes, you can access your PF account from any device with internet access. However, for security reasons, we recommend not accessing your account from a public or shared device.

5. What should I do if I continue to experience issues with accessing my PF account?

If you are still having trouble accessing your PF account, please contact our customer support team for further assistance. Our team will be able to troubleshoot the issue and help you regain access to your account.