PH rising during ammonia extraction with evaporation

In summary, during an experiment for ammonia extraction using WWTP sludge and biogas digestate, a sudden decrease in pressure may have caused an increase in ammonia production. The high variability in results could be due to sample preparation and/or measurement errors, highlighting the importance of accuracy and consistency in these processes.
Christos
Hello there,
During an experiment I had for my MSc Thesis for ammonia extraction, I used WWTP sludge and biogas digestate with an evaporation/distillation unit. I tried different combinations of sample vol. and evaporating flask vol. and then I added vacuum pressure. At first pH was dropping according to literature with the exceptions of some cases where pH was increasing at the end. As soon as I turned on the pump and applied vacuum, the pH just kept rising! So during evaporation, we get from the sludge, NH3 and CO2 in the vapours. As I get it, CO2, turning into carbonic acid, gives you H+, making the solution more acidic (but as you drop the pressure, the PH goes up). On the other hand you got the volatile ammonia molecules from the sludge. My VERY personal (and very civil engineering) theory is that when you create a sudden vacuum in the ammonia equilibrium in the sludge/digestate mixture by sucking the ammonia molecules, you drive the equation into ammonia production. The fact that almost all the cases with pressure had a lower NH4-N concentration than the one with atm. pressure also makes me think of my theory as plasuible. Any ideas of what might be going on?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Also, when I got the total NH4-N concentrations from the samples, I got a very high variability in results. Do you think that is because of the sample preparation and/or measurement errors?I hope I have clarified my issue. Thank you for your time!It is possible that your theory is correct and that the sudden decrease in pressure has caused an increase in ammonia production. The increased pressure could have caused the molecules to be more volatile, thus increasing the amount of ammonia present. It is also possible that the high variability in total NH4-N concentrations is due to sample preparation and/or measurement errors. It is important to ensure that all sample preparation and measurements are done correctly and accurately in order to avoid such variability. Additionally, it is important to make sure that the conditions used for each sample are consistent in order to be able to make accurate comparisons between them.

1. What causes the pH to rise during ammonia extraction with evaporation?

The pH rise during ammonia extraction with evaporation is caused by the release of ammonia gas into the solution. As ammonia is a basic compound, it increases the pH of the solution as it dissolves.

2. Is the rise in pH during ammonia extraction with evaporation a cause for concern?

The rise in pH during ammonia extraction with evaporation is a normal and expected result of the process. As long as the pH does not reach extremely high levels, it should not be a cause for concern.

3. Can the pH level be controlled during ammonia extraction with evaporation?

Yes, the pH level can be controlled by adding an acid to the solution. This will neutralize the basic ammonia and lower the pH to a desired level.

4. How does the pH affect the efficiency of ammonia extraction with evaporation?

The pH level can affect the efficiency of the extraction process. A higher pH can lead to a faster extraction rate, but it can also cause more impurities to be extracted. It is important to maintain a balanced pH to ensure the best results.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the rise in pH during ammonia extraction with evaporation?

As long as proper safety precautions are taken, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area, there should not be any safety concerns related to the rise in pH during ammonia extraction with evaporation. However, it is important to handle ammonia with caution as it can be harmful if ingested or inhaled.