Phase Boundary between mono and diatomic gases

In summary, the task is to compute the equation for the P,T phase boundary between monatomic and diatomic gases that coexist at a given temperature and pressure. The relevant equations are for the molar energies of ideal and van der waals diatomic gases, and the energy holding atoms together in a diatomic gas. The approach may involve using the Clausius Clapeyron equation and considering the fact that the boundary is between two different phase states. Further assistance is needed in understanding how to incorporate these elements.
samjohnny

Homework Statement

Consider a gas (note: treat as ideal) that has phase coexistence between diatomic and monatomic forms at ##T_0## and ##P_0##. Compute the equation for the P,T phase boundary between monatomic and diatomic gases.

Homework Equations

## u_v (V,T) = \frac{5}{2} RT - \frac{a}{v} - u_b ##

## u_i (V,T) = \frac{5}{2} RT - u_b ##

Where ##u_b ## is the energy holding atoms together in a diatomic gas.
And ## u_i ## and ## u_v ## are the molar energies of ideal and van der waals diatomic gases respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that the equation for the phase boundary has something to do with computing ##\frac{dP}{dT}##. So the first thing that springs to mind is the Clausius Clapeyron, however, how to relate that to the equations given for the internal energies I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also not sure how to incorporate the fact that the boundary is between two different phase states. Any help is appreciated!

1. What is a phase boundary?

A phase boundary is the point at which two different phases of matter, such as gas and liquid, coexist in equilibrium.

2. How is a phase boundary between mono and diatomic gases determined?

The phase boundary between monoatomic and diatomic gases is determined by the temperature and pressure at which the two gases have equal vapor pressures, resulting in equilibrium between the two phases.

3. What factors influence the location of the phase boundary between mono and diatomic gases?

The location of the phase boundary is influenced by the size and shape of the molecules, the strength of intermolecular forces, and the temperature and pressure conditions.

4. How does the phase boundary between mono and diatomic gases change with temperature?

As temperature increases, the phase boundary between mono and diatomic gases shifts to higher pressures, indicating a higher vapor pressure for the diatomic gas compared to the monoatomic gas. This is due to the diatomic gas having more degrees of freedom and being more easily excited at higher temperatures.

5. Why is the phase boundary between mono and diatomic gases important in industrial processes?

The phase boundary between mono and diatomic gases is important in industrial processes because it determines the conditions at which a gas can exist as both a liquid and a gas, allowing for efficient separation and purification of gases. It also affects the behavior of gases in reaction vessels and can impact the efficiency of chemical reactions.