Required current rating of 3-phase power system

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's background in mechanical engineering and their plan to purchase an air-preheater with a power rating of 30kW. They need to determine if their 3-phase supply can handle this power, and their calculations show that the current rating from their supply is 43.478 amps. They are considering a 60 amp three phase breaker, and the heater specs may provide specific recommendations for over current breaker size, fuse size, and wire size.
kyle pender
My background is mechanical engineering so not great with the electrical side. I plan on buying a air-preheater (resistive wire heated) which has a power rating of 30kW, supplied by 3-phase. I need to determine whether my 3-phase supply (415V 32A) has a max current that can cope with this. My calculation is as follows:

since purely resistive, power factor =1 hence, kW=kVA=30kW
line to neutral voltage=line to line voltage/3^1/2=230V
3-phase power is 30kW, therefore single phase power = 10kW

Current=VA/line to neutral voltage=10000/230=43.478 amps

As far as I am aware this is the current rating from my supply i would need to achieve 30kW from 400V. Do my calculations appear correct? If so I will need to find a power supply rated above this current.

Engineering news on Phys.org
To find the amps in 3 phase, we typically leave it in line to line voltage.

30KW=415*1.73*I
I=41.78 amps per phase

Therefore, your 32A power supply falls a bit short.

A 60 amp three phase breaker should be ideal assuming your load requires 415 volts.
NEC code would suggest 3 #6 wires with #10 ground. If your load is more than 400 feet away, you may have to upsize your wire size for voltage drop.

Your heater specs may list the ideal over current breaker size. They may list the fuse size for a disconnect as well. Some disconnects get no fuse. They may list the recommended wire size as well. They may not.

Last edited:

1. What is the required current rating of a 3-phase power system?

The required current rating of a 3-phase power system depends on several factors such as the power demand, load distribution, and the type of equipment being used. Generally, a 3-phase power system has a higher current rating compared to a single-phase system as it can handle larger loads.

2. How is the required current rating of a 3-phase power system calculated?

The required current rating of a 3-phase power system is calculated by dividing the total power demand by the product of the system voltage and the square root of 3. This formula is known as the "power triangle" and takes into account the power factor and phase angle of the system.

3. Why is the required current rating of a 3-phase power system important?

The required current rating of a 3-phase power system is important as it determines the maximum amount of power that the system can safely handle without overloading. It also helps in selecting the appropriate size and type of equipment to be used in the system.

4. Can the required current rating of a 3-phase power system be increased?

Yes, the required current rating of a 3-phase power system can be increased by either upgrading the system's components, such as transformers and switchgear, or by adding more parallel circuits to distribute the load evenly. However, these changes should be done carefully and by a licensed electrician to ensure safety and compliance with local regulations.

5. How can I determine the required current rating of a 3-phase power system for my specific application?

To determine the required current rating of a 3-phase power system for your specific application, you can consult a licensed electrician or use online calculators that take into account your power demand, voltage, and other relevant factors. It is important to accurately calculate the current rating to ensure the safe and efficient operation of your power system.