Phase difference and Standing waves vs Progressive waves

In summary, the conversation is about stationary waves and the confusion surrounding the phase difference between adjacent nodes and odd numbers of nodes. The question asks why the textbook gives answers of 180, 225, and 0 degrees in the attached image, which would be the case for a progressive wave. It is also asked if stationary waves only form when two progressive waves have the same frequency, wavelength, and constant phase difference. The conversation ends with a question about determining the phase difference for points A, B, and C in the image.
Lamar Ngolo
1495121023587-154927012.jpg
and

Homework Statement

Ok, so I am doing As physics at the moment and have been left confused by stationary waves.
I have read that between adjacent nodes/ even numbers the phase difference is always 0 and between numbers of does it is pi radians. So in the attatched image why is my textbook giving answers of 180, 225 and 0 degrees: this is what would be the case on a progressive wave, right?
Also, do stationary waves only form where 2 progressive waves in opposite directions have the same frequency, wavelength and constant phase difference, or only a few of the named conditions needed?

Thanks everyone

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Lamar Ngolo said:
between adjacent nodes/ even numbers the phase difference is always 0 and between numbers of does it is pi radians.
That is rather garbled. Please clarify.

With regard to the question, I do not understand how you are supposed to know exactly where B is.

haruspex said:

With regard to the question, I do not understand how you are supposed to know exactly where B is.
I was meant to put between odd numbers of nodes is the phase difference pi radians?

Lamar Ngolo said:
I was meant to put between odd numbers of nodes is the phase difference pi radians?
Ok.
In this question, O, A and C are antinodes, but the same method applies.
Counting from O, how many antinodes away is A? Is that an even or odd number?
How about from O to C?

haruspex said:

haruspex said:
Ok.
In this question, O, A and C are antinodes, but the same method applies.
Counting from O, how many antinodes away is A? Is that an even or odd number?
How about from O to C?
Would it not just be Pi rad for A and B and 0 for C?

Lamar Ngolo said:
Would it not just be Pi rad for A and B and 0 for C?
π For A and 0 for C, but B is not at a node or antinode. As I wrote, from the information given, I don't know how you are supposed to know exactly where B is.

What is the difference between phase difference and standing waves?

Phase difference refers to the difference in the phase or position of two waves at a given point in time. Standing waves, on the other hand, are created when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This results in a stationary pattern of nodes and antinodes. In other words, phase difference is a property of individual waves while standing waves are a result of the interaction of two waves.

How are phase difference and standing waves related to each other?

Phase difference is an important factor in the formation of standing waves. When two waves with the same frequency and amplitude have a phase difference of exactly half a wavelength, they will cancel each other out and create a standing wave. This is known as the principle of superposition.

What is the significance of phase difference and standing waves in the study of waves?

Phase difference and standing waves have important applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and music. They help us understand the behavior of waves and how they interact with each other. For example, standing waves are used in musical instruments to produce specific notes and harmonics.

How do standing waves differ from progressive waves?

Progressive waves are waves that move through a medium, carrying energy from one point to another. They travel in a specific direction and do not remain stationary like standing waves. In progressive waves, energy is constantly transferred from one point to another, while in standing waves, the energy remains in the same location.

Can standing waves exist in all types of mediums?

No, standing waves can only exist in mediums that allow for the reflection of waves. This means that the medium must have boundaries or be confined in some way. For example, standing waves can exist in a string or a pipe, but not in an open ocean where waves can freely travel in all directions.