Phase Difference at Air-Glass Interface: 30°, λo=1μm

In summary: well one must consider the refraction and due to refraction the wave is inclined at certain angle -moreover the waves traverse the glass medium with changed wavelength which is related to refractive index of the medium -pick up a textbook on refraction.
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

A plane-wave is incident on an air-glass interface at 30° as shown below. Calculate the phase difference between A and B. Assume λo=1μm.

attatched is an image that looks like this.

--------------------------- A

--------------------------- B

the angle is incident from above at 30°. the distance between A and B is 1μm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i really just need a bit of guidance. I feel as if i should have a formula for this but i don't. the book and my class notes aren't being much help either.

Physics news on Phys.org
nmsurobert said:
A plane-wave is incident on an air-glass interface at 30° as shown below. Calculate the phase difference between A and B. Assume λo=1μm.

what is the wavelength given -in air or glass-
if it is in air -one can calculate the wavelength in glass after refraction at 30 degree incidence and move ahead calculating the phase changes as it travels in glass.
where lies the actual hurdle?

How do I calculate the phase change? Like I said, I feel like I'm missing a formula.

nmsurobert said:
How do I calculate the phase change? Like I said, I feel like I'm missing a formula.

Phase and path traversed is related by simple concept-
When a wave travels full wavelength the it returns to identical phase- so a translation of lambda leads to phase change of 2.Pi
therefore phase difference = (2.Pi/ Wavelength). path length

drvrm said:
Phase and path traversed is related by simple concept-
When a wave travels full wavelength the it returns to identical phase- so a translation of lambda leads to phase change of 2.Pi
therefore phase difference = (2.Pi/ Wavelength). path length
If that's the case then wouldn't the phase difference be 2pi since the wave length and path length are the same?

nmsurobert said:
If that's the case then wouldn't the phase difference be 2pi since the wave length and path length are the same?
well one must consider the refraction and due to refraction the wave is inclined at certain angle -moreover the waves traverse the glass medium with changed wavelength which is related to refractive index of the medium -pick up a textbook on refraction.

1. What is phase difference at an air-glass interface?

The phase difference at an air-glass interface refers to the difference in the phase of an electromagnetic wave between the two mediums of air and glass. This difference is caused by the change in the refractive index at the interface.

2. How is phase difference calculated?

The phase difference at an air-glass interface can be calculated using the formula δ = 2π(d/λ), where δ is the phase difference, d is the distance between the two mediums, and λ is the wavelength of the electromagnetic wave.

3. What does a phase difference of 30° at an air-glass interface mean?

A phase difference of 30° at an air-glass interface means that there is a difference of 30° in the phase of the electromagnetic wave between the two mediums. This indicates that the wave has undergone a partial phase shift at the interface.

4. How does the phase difference affect the behavior of light at an air-glass interface?

The phase difference at an air-glass interface determines how the light is reflected and refracted at the interface. It also affects the interference and diffraction patterns of light passing through the interface.

5. Why is the given wavelength of 1μm important in the context of phase difference at an air-glass interface?

The wavelength of 1μm is important because it is used as a standard unit to measure the phase difference at an air-glass interface. This specific wavelength is often used in experiments and calculations involving the behavior of light at interfaces.